• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rad questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revival

Registered
Setting up a new system and I'm looking at a Chevette heater core or An Impala 1977 core ( two 120mm fans). What kind of performance diff could I expect between the two?

Pump will be MCP600 with two block on it with res.

The chevette heater core should work fine.

Chart 12 shows a graph for a heatercore virtually identical to the chevette and it expels as much or a considerable amount more heat than the other heat exchangers.

The Impala core is probably similar to the serck in chart 13.

Both those cores expel a considerable amount of heat more than any other heat exchanger in that test.

So you think I wont notice too much diff between they two?

Using 2 x 120mm fans on a rad big enough to hold them will perform better because there is more surface area for heat disapation.The radiator is the easiest and best way to get lower temps and where bigger seams to always be better. Of course the best you can do is ambient but thats pretty darn good..

Going with the larger core will allow you to use more fans if you so choose - going with the smaller core limits you to 2 fans max.

The graphs in those links also show that airflow through the heatercore is much more important than flowrate through it at reasonable flowrate levels.

The ability to use up to 4 120mm fans instead of only 2 makes the larger core a better choice in my opinion, so long as you have room for it.

If room is an issue, the smaller core offers very good performance though also.

Back