• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spliting the sound output.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ad Rock

Is there a way that I can split the sound output from my computer? I want to use my computer as a HTPC at the same time I browse the internet or talk on msn. I dont however want the dunka dun of the the messenger to be played through my home stereo while watching a movie. I would however like to hear it if possible through my headphones or computer speakers.

I plan on buying the Sound Blaster Platinum Pro with the breakout box. Is there anyway that I can get the sound from the movie to be serperated from the rest of the computer sounds? I am guessing the answer is no but I would really like it if I could do this.

Thanks for any help :D .

Last edited:
hmmm interesting, while I don't think there is a way to do this per se, why don't you just shut msn's ability to play a sound when it gets a message off?

12am said:
hmmm interesting, while I don't think there is a way to do this per se, why don't you just shut msn's ability to play a sound when it gets a message off?

Yah I will proboly have to do that. I usually watch movies when I am doing homework or studying and I use my computer also during that. I really would like to be able to keep the sound on my computer as sometimes when I take a break from studying I play a game or two and I would like to keep the movie playing.

I know it sounds weird but I have been doing this all my time in University so far and I dont want to change it :p.

I used to have my PS2 playing the movie on my tv up to this point but this summer I want to get a BenQ 6100 projector and apparently your PC can provide an amazing signal for this projector (vga) so I want to use my computer as the source.

P.S. Looks like its Calgary's time to be Alberta's team in the playoffs. Hopefully Iggy lights it up for you guys. Iggy is from St. Albert, my friend lives a few houses down from the home he built here.

ya sorry I can't help you further on your question, I've never came across this sort of thing before. I guess it's too bad you can't have 2 soundcards running at the same time!. Ya I'm hoping for a good performance out of iggy, but it will be interesting to see how Kipper responds to his first playoff series, he will need to carry the team on his shoulders like he has most of the season in order for the flames to make it anywhere in the playoffs.

12am said:
ya sorry I can't help you further on your question, I've never came across this sort of thing before. I guess it's too bad you can't have 2 soundcards running at the same time!. Ya I'm hoping for a good performance out of iggy, but it will be interesting to see how Kipper responds to his first playoff series, he will need to carry the team on his shoulders like he has most of the season in order for the flames to make it anywhere in the playoffs.

Yah Kipper has been amazing so far this year. He would be a could win the vezina except I dont think he played in enough games. Now you guys just need to dump your overpriced and poor performing goalie (Turek) like the oilers just did (Salo). I know people from around Edmonton are supposed to hate the Flames but I will be cheering for you guys.

Ya it's too bad they locked turek into a bad deal, if we wanna get rid of him we have to pay him out around 3m dollars! or have someone take him from us (can't see that happening! as he's been on waivers since feb)

It's a shame that most hardware/software is far from it's customization capabilities.

It's digital mass production, it's not like having a personal laborer work for you.

There SHOULD be an easy way to do that.

In general, with Microsoft, either the doors are locked, or there are no doors at all. Hard to tell... Anyways, wish i could help.

hmmm. here's a *possible* solution.

Use whatever audio player you like (i use foobar) and tell it to output music to all 4 channels (2 front, 2 rear). Connect your speakers to the front output (and rear if you like) and use the rear outputs for the other connection (for your HTPC use).

on my machine at least, windows sounds are only played through the front two channels, meaning that the rear speakers are free to play anything else you can think of.

With music at least it will work, and without the need for a second soundcard. for movies however, i dont know.

That is an interesting solution, however I would want the full 6.1 or whatever sound range. You did mention a second sound card... is that possible? I have an old soundblaster live that I could instal and run my computer sound off of. I didnt know you could have dual soundcards running like you have dual videocards running.

This is an interesting idea for sure

Back