• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No more Fortrons for me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
The 350 aroura I have now will be going back to newegg as soon as I get a RMA #. The 120mm fan is going out and making quite a racket while doing so. I first thought a wire was hitting the blade but after pulling it out and have a closer look nothing is touching the blade. When I adjust the fan speed you can hear a difference in the noise its making so I am 100% sure its the fan. The rails are rock solid at 12.16 and 5.04 as usual and I really like that but this is the second fortron I've had to RMA so I'm not happy. The first about a yr ago had terrible rail readings right out of the box. I've never owned a Antec so I'm thinking about trying a true power. I want at least 400 watts. Any suggestions. And has anyone seen those seasonics mentioned in (dare I say) THG PSU review for sale in the US if so where and has anyone tried one?

I've had two fortron based supplies, and they both worked great.

Including the 530watt I'm using now.

ChiefScout said:
sometimes you just get unlucky and get bad stuff. I hear good stuff from Forton but i'm probably gonna go with an enermax noisetaker.

From what I have heard here the forton is a better PSU then the enermax. The problems I've had are rather insignificant compared to other PS's I do mean to change brands but more out of curiousity then anything else. I bought a total of 7 fortron/sparkle psu's and have had trouble with 2. not the best average but when they work well they are hard to beat.

I have never had problems with the rails on my FSP530 but the rear fan gave me trouble a while ago. I almost repalced it untill i relized it was only 80mm x 20mm deep instead of the standard 25mm. However, after a few tries oiling the fan with sewing machine oil i managed to quiet it down (the first two tries produced good results that deteriorated, turns out the old sticker was useless and the oil was evaporating/leaking out but on the third try i used some tape to seal it up before i replaced teh sticker and the psu has been quiet ever since). You may want to give oiling it a try (don't use wd-40) if it gives your psu gives good performance other than the noise. Also, replacing the fan might be an option as well if you are not afraid of splicing wires.

Back