• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to set up a network between my two rigs...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tekOC

^ Title ^

I want to network my two rigs, so they can both share files and share my one printer.... I have a NETGEAR MODEL HR314 router... its a pretty sweet router with wireless ability, but I am using ethernet cables to share the internet connection.

Now I just needa figure out how to share files and my printer on my main rig.... can somebody explain or point my to a thread.
I haven't seen any stickies on explaining this, and I am a COMPLETE noob to networking!

Windows XP Pro SP1 on both rigs, all updates and patches...

TIA, tekOC.

To share the internet, just run the wizard on both machines. It will work sweet.

To share the printer, you must install 'File and printer shareing for Microsoft Networks'.

Then, on the other machine, you can browse the network to the printer. When you double click on the printer, it will install the drivers.

don256us said:
To share the printer, you must install 'File and printer shareing for Microsoft Networks'.

Where can I find this file in Windows?

Right click network neighborhood/my network places and go to properties. Then right click your local area connection and click properties. Client for MS networks, File and printer sharing for ms netownrs, QoS packet scheduler, Internet protocol (TCP/IP) are all selected on my networked computers. If they are not shown on that screen then you have to click the install button.

BUT DO NOT DO THIS BEFORE YOU SET UP THE WIZARD. The wizard should take care of this for you.

If you have WinXP or the like, you can go to network connections (right click network places and click properties), and then on the left panel under network tasks, you can click "setup a home or small office network".

Alternatively, the MS home networking wizard/ Network setup wizard should also be present in your ACCESSORIES> COMMUNICATIONS program menu.

There are several stickies that go over all this on the top of these forums. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=230671

I setup the Home or Small Office network on both my computers, and I have all those already installed..... I restarted both computers but when I put a file in Shared Documents that file doesnt appear on the other computers Shared Documents.... the network wizards both finished successfully.... am I doing something wrong?

I have a Netgear Router, my main rig goes ETHERNET CABLE > ROUTER > CABLE MODEM, and my second rig goes ETHERNET CABLE > ROUTER

In the wizard I chose Other > This computer connects to the internet directly or through a network hub. Other computers on my network also connect to the internet directly or through the hub.

Thats the right option IMO?:rolleyes:

I think that you have it right with the wizard. The next step is to create shares. On each computer, go to 'My Computer'. From there you can right click on a drive, then select 'shareing and security'.

No you don't have to share a full drive. You can go to a folder inside a drive, right click and share.

Same with printers. Right click and share.

don256us said:
I think that you have it right with the wizard. The next step is to create shares. On each computer, go to 'My Computer'. From there you can right click on a drive, then select 'shareing and security'.

No you don't have to share a full drive. You can go to a folder inside a drive, right click and share.

Same with printers. Right click and share.

K I did that for my F: drive on my main rig, now how do I access that drive on my second rig?

Assuming that everything is working, on the 2nd machine, double click 'Network Neiborhood' or 'My Network Places', double click on the work group (perhaps "MSHOME") then double click the 1st computer. There you should see the drive that you shared. You can then right click on that drive and 'Map' it.

If you can not browse the network, something needs to be fixed.

Hmm, I went to the second rig and did what you said, I didn't see the drive or any computers there, so I clicked view all workgroups... after about 30 seconds an error message appears saying "Bogdanovic (the workgroup i made) is not accessible"

Hmm....:rolleyes:

Back