• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my prommy Mach I modded?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gouda96

I bought a mach I used on these forums over the summer, and I think it may have been regassed. The previous owner was unaware of whether or not any mods were done.

Anyway, when I turn on the mkI without it connected to a cpu it hits -50c in a few minutes and an alarm goes off and I need to shut it down. Under full load on p4 @ 1.7v the evap temp showed around -35c.

I am going by the prommy lcd for these temps, and a few people told me these temps are uncharecteristic of a stock mkI. Has my prommy been modded?

It sounds like it might be. Look to see if there is possibly a vampire tap on the line. That'll tell you right away.

It sounds like someone replaced the fans, or possibly disabled the heater unti in the evaporator head as well.

Thats still too warm to be regassed, unless someone really screwed up when they were doing it.

There is also an orange T on the compressor label which i thought could have something to do with r404. I chekd the temps again and it is still dropping pretty quickly when it hits -50c, and under load the evap head stays at about -42c.

oh, thats more like it, I read -35C under load in your first post.

that has definatly been modded with something, possibly r404 or r507.

if you payed the price for a unmodded one thatspretty lucky considering regassing usually costs around 150$ or so.

It was a trade where I gave my wc setup (mcw5000-pt, mcw50-t, chevette hc, meanwell psu for 5000-pt) + $100 but I got the entire wc setup for realy cheap. The person I bought this unit from had gotten it used from someone else, and didn't know what the heck he was doing, so never even used it (full box of seal string), so I was happy with the purchase if it was just a stock unit.

I am going to do some further investigating just to make sure the temp probe hasn't gone insane.

Any idea what kind of real evap temps a stock MKI puts out? I been hearing a bunch of people complaining about how inaccurate it was.

mine put out -33C under full load before I did any modding to it. Now its doing -38C under full load and I did quite a few mods to it, but I havnt regassed it yet.

I added alot of copper strips to the tube that goes to the recondensor (fins for better heat dissapation), and I added 2 80MM fans to the front of the recondenser.

Back