• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Project......((PICS!!!))

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arcsylver

Registered
Ok Some of you have aided me in this project so I wanted to post some pics of things.

A brief Synopsis for those ust tuning in.

My Project is basically a multi computer capable Rack mounted cooling rig.

I plan to have as the primary rig in the System a P4 Prescott, 2.8E on an ASUS p4p800-e Deluxe Mobo running 1 GB of Mushkin 2-2-2 PC 3200 DDR with an 80 GB WD SATA HDD and a DVD Burner. It will be running either a Gainward or ASUS GeForce FX 5700 Graphics card.

The secondary rig will be the one I am typing this one at the moment.

It is a 1 GB Socket 370 Celeron on an MSI 6366 Mobo which will eventually have 512 MB of DDR. (this board can run SDRAM or DDR)

The watercooling consists or a 1957 Chevy Brass Radiator, a Danner Mag 7 Pump, A Danger Den RBX block for the P4, an Innovatek FlatFlow for the Celeron, I will be running a Maze 4 GPU and a Z-Chip block in the P4 Rig and I will be adding a Z-Chip and a DD GeForce 4 block to the Celeron.

Edit: Well I was going to but I cant seem to get it to allow me to attach anything to the post. Anyone willing to give me a hand getting this to work?

EDIT: #2 So what do you guys think I should name this monster?
Every good project needs a name after all, right?

Last edited:
It isnt a URL it is the attach file option on the post part.

I select a file on my computer to upload , in this case a small, less than 50k file and it doesnt attach it to th post

OK Thanks for the imageshack link.

Lets try this again shall we.

The 1957 Chevy Radiator in all it's crustiness as per the E-Bay auction listing when I first bought it.

57ChevyRad3.jpg

The Radiato after my modifications and a nice coat of Automotive Uncdercoating on the top and bottom Tanks. (Excuse the JBWeld on the bards.) The Mountain Dew Can is for a size reference.

ModelRailroadPics1.jpg

Next up is pics of the vlower that will be cooling this beast.

A 19 inch Rackmount dual blower

Front view (Notice the mesh filter)

RackmountBlower3.jpg

Back View (lotsa airflow through this bad boy)

RackmountBlower2.jpg

Soja said:

Heh No Kidding. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to do as I originally planned and have 2 4U rackmounts in this cabinet with this beast. Due to how deep the rackmount cases extend into the cabinet I will only be able to fit on in the cabinet with it. However I have a second shorter cabinet (god bless dumpster diving) that I can probably fit up to another three rigs into easily that will stack nicely on top of the 4 foot tall one I am building this project in.

I dont have any pics of it yet because it is in pieces at the moment awaiting the rather large cutout for the radiator to be mounted into the back door of the cabinet.

MameXP said:
:eek: that thing is BIG! What case are you using? :p:

It is more a case of what enclosure I am using. I lucked out and got my hands on three 19inch rackmount cabintes is almost new condition.

one of them is a 4 foot tall one. That is the cabinet I am building the watercooling in. I also have a smaller one that will eventually house more computer cases. I am using 4 U rackmount cases from newegg,com that I get for 90 dollars a piece.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...46-04.JPG/11-150-046-05.JPG/11-150-046-06.JPG

You lucky *******. I've been looking for a nice rackmount cabinet for a while. Must be looking in the wrong dumpsters :p

OOPS, I was wrong I forgot I took some pics of the two cabinets stacked when I first got them home in my room.

Cabinets closed

DualServerCabinets1.JPG

Cabinets Open

DualServerCabinetsInside1.JPG

The thing to keep in mind here is that the shelves behind the cabinets are 6 feet 2 inches tall.

Soja said:
You lucky *******. I've been looking for a nice rackmount cabinet for a while. Must be looking in the wrong dumpsters :p

Well it helps to have family members who can give you a heads up for things like this. The distribution center for these monsters is near where I live and they ususall will grind these into scrap metal instead of throwing them out.

I got lucky and managed to get a few.

There are actually two more of the 4 footers in another room that my mother is using as storage cabinets for her arts and crafts stuff and we also got an 8 foot tall one in biege that is sitting out in the workshop that will eventually become her power tool storage locker (unless I can beg it from her)

your crazy man.

I do see a problem I think, that core is a single pass core, meaning that the top and bottom tank are open without dividers. With the barbs like that the water isnt gonna flow through the fins, just in and out the top tank.

Jon

JFettig said:
your crazy man.

I do see a problem I think, that core is a single pass core, meaning that the top and bottom tank are open without dividers. With the barbs like that the water isnt gonna flow through the fins, just in and out the top tank.

Jon

It is a single pass yes, hoever look closely (the white splotch in the pic is actually a third barb on the bottom of the rad, the camera flash makes it hard to see), it is going to be a single inlet at the bottom of the radiator and dual outlets at the top which will allow the water to pool in the radiator a bit before reentering the cooling loop and going out the the computers.

I plan to hook the outlet of the pump to the inlet at the bottom of the Radiator and then have my computer feed lines hooked to the outlets on the rad at the top.

Arcsylver said:

It is a single pass yes, hoever look closely (the white splotch in the pic is actually a third barb on the bottom of the rad, the camera flash makes it hard to see), it is going to be a single inlet at the bottom of the radiator and dual outlets at the top which will allow the water to pool in the radiator a bit before reentering the cooling loop and going out the the computers.

I plan to hook the outlet of the pump to the inlet at the bottom of the Radiator and then have my computer feed lines hooked to the outlets on the rad at the top.

that won't be slowing the flow of water to the radiator, it'll be slowing the flow of the water after it passes through the radiator out the two outlets and unless you Y up the two outlets, ur componets (waterblocks) will have a slow flow. If u want to slow the flow to ur radiator w/o affecting the rest of the setup, you'll need to get two radiators and split into parallel before going through the radiator.

This is why I chose the pump I did, A Danner Mag 7.

The way this is set up is to allow for the least amount of tubing length to restrict the flow as little as possible due to the length of the tubing. I am using the radiator as a sort of manifold to seperate the flow loops out to the computers.

I have a manifold rigged to recombine the flows at the pump when they exit the computer cases.

Between the size and low flow restriction of this radiator and the power of the pump I have chosen it should not be much of an issue.

Back