• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random restarts. PSU to blame?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sterVin

Heres my current specs...
CPU: AMD 2400+ @ 2.1
RAM: 512MB DDR-SDRAM PC3200
MOBO: Gigabyte 7VT600-L
Storage: 60GB 7,200RPM hard drive
Graphics: GF4 MX440 (getting a radeon 9800 for my B-day)
Cooling: 5 (blue) 80mm LED case fans
thermalright 900A CPU heat sink w/ SVC 92mm fan
thermaltake "extreme" spirit (no blower on it, just the heat sink)
PSU: Allied 300W (came with the case)

anyways, I recently downloaded the "graphic" version of F@H and ever since had the computer ramdomly restart on me. Doesnt seem to matter if Im folding and surfing the web, or if Im folding, playing a CD, and playing counterstrike; it just restarts. I cant think of anything else other then the PSU that might be causing this. Could it be (or is it) the PSU? If not, what else?

Thanks,
Stephen

Last edited:
sterVin said:
Temps- CPU ~ 42*C Case ~ 30*C

Rails (got from MBM5)
12v ~ 12.65V
5V ~ 4.83V
3.3V ~ 3.26V

Your 12v rail looks a little on the high side. Of course, the only way to tell for sure would be to use a mulitimeter to check your voltages. Your temperatures look fine and shouldn't be causing any problems. Considering you're using a 300W PSU to power your fairly power-hungry computer I'm going to say its your PSU causing the problems. If it isn't the PSU, when you get your power hungry Radeon 9800 pro, I'm sure it will become one. For your setup, I'd suggest a good Antec, Fortron/Sparkle, Power PC & Cooling, Enermax etc... 350W+ PSU

I would recommend finding out if its really the ps before replacing it. If you are randomly restarting while in windows go to your computer properties>advanced>Startup and recovery settings> and uncheck automatically restart under the system failure section. When your systems "restarts" it will freeze at a the BSOD you are getting instead which should give you a heads up as to why you are having errors. In my experience random restarts are video card problems, usually video card overheating. If you do plan on picking up the 9800pro you'll need something a bit beefier than that 300W obviously...fortron fortron fortron!

hey tsintse, i'm trying to get my new shuttle xpc stable right now and i have a 9800 pro vid card, the thing keeps crashing a half hour into bf192. and it's at stock except for the ddr volts are at 2.75.(since i have bh6) and i was wondering if i uncheck automatically restart under failure, will it reboot the pc to a bsod? and give me the error? or will it just go to the bsod rather than rebooting? and then will i be able to turn the pc on normally after that or do i have to adjust anything?
thanks

Hi Magnummafia,

The computer will freeze at the BSOD giving you the error data. You can then C-A-D and restart as needed. Which XPC are you using? my wife has a 9800 Pro running in an st61g4 without any problems... no need to up the voltage or anything. I am using a 5950 ultra with an sn85g4 and haven't had any issues either.

Hope you get yer system running...I moved from wc tower to this little Shuttle box and I am VERY happy with it so far, but let's stay on topic :D

oops read what box you had on your sig...hrmmm what PS does that one come with? the st61 came with the nice 250w PS and the sn85g4 has a 240.

Back