• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slight mobile (moral) dilemma

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Permanoob

My brother-in-law's girlfriend wants me to build her a PC. She knows little to none about computer but knows what she wants to do with it and so on. I'm pricing in the range of getting a 2500+.

My dilemma is, do I order a mobile 2500+ and throw it in my board and try and OC past what's in my sig? If it does better do I go ahead and pass on a slightly OC'd or stock 2800 to her? If it doesn't overclock better then woopee..

I'm thinking I may do this. Not looking for justification, just opinion. :)

as long as the 2800+ works fine.... it seems fine to me. you are actually giving her a chip worth more than you are spending on the m2500+

Well, ask permission. Say you are going to buy a 2500+ for her, and out of the kindness of your heart, switch it with the 2800+ in your system. I made a pc for some old people once, and asked if I could buy pc3200 for it and give them the pc2700 out of my system as partial payment for me building it. To my delight, they said yes, and gave me $50 and a flatscreen monitor as well. It always does well to be honest.

I dont like giving friend's or familiy my pc part's after I have used them for 1 week or 1 hour. It just doesnt seem right to me to give someone something that I have put thru a beating no matter wheather it will last another 7 yr's for them or 7min's.

Spose a couple of you are right.. would be a little greedy anyway seeing as how I'm running at 2.5 anyway. Think I'll stick to what I've got and see what I can get for her for a healthy little OC.

heh, i look like an immoral slob here now
How so?

I'd get the mobile and use the better of the two chips. I dont see how this is immoral. You are saving them the trouble of paying somone to install it.

As a fee take the better chip. Besides your chip works fine....not only that but it works DAMNED good.

I say take the best chip and OC her PC

My .02

Ive done the same thing with a charity I work with. I donate my time to them fixing and teaching kids computers and sometimes build computers at cost (buy parts at frys and give them reciepts). I switched out the same processors with mine with different steppings, gave them my 6 month old 60 gig for a new 80 gig, switched cpu coolers for higher rated ones. Its not immoral considering I dont charge them anything for my time. At least I know the stuff I put in their systems is reliable (I will be the one fixing it if it isnt).

I have done this a few times...no problem..I make them aware of what I'm doing and explain why for OCing it matters and that that is my only charge for doing the work for them...seems a fair deal to me. specially since she is gtting a more expensive CPU and one that runs faster at stock speeds.

I did this with a buddy of mine- he was buying/building his first new computer in 7 (seven!) years and he asked me to build him a system so I asked him if it'd be okay if he bought a mobile 2400+ and I'd give him my 2500+, HS and stock fan. I had to buy a SLK947U, but I think we both made out on the deal.

Well figuring she doesn't know jack about computers.......try & explain what you want to do. I personally would never just swap chips without it being ok. If I was in your situation I'd probably say somethin like, "Hey would you mind if I just gave you my chip & I'll take the new one I got for your PC." Honestly explain the differences..........Thats what I'd do.

^^ Forgot to mention that. Atleast tell them what ur doing. But from a moral standpointt. I see nothing wrong.

It may be a *used* chip...but it sure as hell aint broken

i often will do that as well when i build a system... thats how i got rid of 3 old pally chips i had, they will never know the difference plus you are building a system which is far better and way cheaper than anything they would buy in a store... also the part is still under warranty so if something does go wrong it is covered....

Permanoob said:
My brother-in-law's girlfriend wants me to build her a PC. She knows little to none about computer but knows what she wants to do with it and so on. I'm pricing in the range of getting a 2500+.

My dilemma is, do I order a mobile 2500+ and throw it in my board and try and OC past what's in my sig? If it does better do I go ahead and pass on a slightly OC'd or stock 2800 to her? If it doesn't overclock better then woopee..

I'm thinking I may do this. Not looking for justification, just opinion. :)

The fact that you have OC'd your 2800 makes it wrong to sell it to a customer because overclocking is doing something with the chip that AMD never intended it to do. As such, it should not be sold in a system because it has gone beyond the specified manufacturer's purposes.

My .02: get her a 2500+ Desktop Barton.

if you ok the swap with her after explaining your end it would be ok. If you did it without explaining to her and not mentioning it at all, that is just dishonest

Back