• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X-E Deluxe overclocking, bios question .... pls help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nox

ok , I just got this memory and I`m very happy they work in Dual chanel ( I have tried MANY more includin Corsair and Kingstone and they did not work ) , anyway I want to understand beter my mother board but I need some help with the Bios ...

Advanced Chipset Features\ System Performance - I have 3 options : Optimal, Aggresive, User Defined

and at the

Memory Timings / also 3 options : Optimal. aggresive, User Defined

my question is pretty simple : What EXACTLY is the diffrence between OPTIMAL and AGGRESIVE , becouse I can`t see any changes at the other settings when I set it to Aggresive , except that now at startup it sais PERFORMANCE DDR TIMINGS ACTIVATED instead of Memory 200 MHz

but what that means I don`t understad,

also when I set the Memory Timings to Aggresive , the 4 Sdram settings do not change , they remain the same as in Optimal ,

A7N8X-E Deluxe Revison 1 , bios 1.008
Barton 2600+
Twinmos Twister PC 3500, 2x 512Mb Dual Chanel Mode
WSD 120Gh SATA HD
Gforce Fx 5700 Ultra 256mb

aloso , please excuse my bad English , if u don`t undestatnd something I said , just ask me and I`ll try to clear things up
thank you

WElcome to the Forum NOX!!!!

Optimum and Agressive are basically "automatic" settings. Optimum provides stablity and Agressive provides performance. When you select either one, the motherboard automatically sellect the parameters. You have noticed this when selecting agressive with message during boot-up about performance DDR.

User Define bypasses the auto feature and allows maunal changes in bios. Be careful and don't make too much changes here. Read first and then make small changes. Good Luck!

thank you for the tip , but u did not answer me ,

like I said there is NO VISIBLE change in the settings between Optimal and Aggresive

( altho there is a little boost in the benchmarcks when I set it to aggresive

Also what is the difference between SYSTEM PERFORMANCE and MEMORY TIMINGS , does the first 1 affect CPU also ( when I set the first to aggresive the second is Automatic set to aggresive too )

my memory timings are ( on both optimal and aggresive ) 8.3,3,2

in that order ( I don`t understand how come yours are 2,2,2,6 , since at me the last 1 is the cas latency

SDRAM Active Precgarge Delay 8
SDRAM RAS Lo CAS Delay 3
SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay 3
SDRAM CAS Latency 2

like I said no change between Optimal and Aggresive

I have personally seen no change either between optimal and aggressive, so i just use the user defined option and set them to the max settings i can get out of the ram.

nox said:
my memory timings are ( on both optimal and aggresive ) 8.3,3,2

in that order ( I don`t understand how come yours are 2,2,2,6 , since at me the last 1 is the cas latency

SDRAM Active Precgarge Delay 8
SDRAM RAS Lo CAS Delay 3
SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay 3
SDRAM CAS Latency 2

like I said no change between Optimal and Aggresive
same smell-2,2,2,6 or 6,2,2,2. Guys including myself like to put CAS latency first on top of the list because it has the lowest value.

But your 8,3,3,2 or 2,3,3,8 is not bad its also you stock timings usually the best timing you can get with YOUR DDRram.

nox said:
thank you for the tip , but u did not answer me ,

like I said there is NO VISIBLE change in the settings between Optimal and Aggresive

( altho there is a little boost in the benchmarcks when I set it to aggresive

Also what is the difference between SYSTEM PERFORMANCE and MEMORY TIMINGS , does the first 1 affect CPU also ( when I set the first to aggresive the second is Automatic set to aggresive too )

You will not "SEE" the change in bios when selecting Optimum and Agressive settings. These settings are done automatically by motherboard.

If you want to "see" the change, Download CPUZ program and look at memory timings. I think you will see a change. I have not done this to verify. I have done 3Dmark03 or 3dmark01 benchmark programs to verify performance increase.

I don't have the manual with me, but system performance and memory timings are directly related. The tighter the memory settings, the more performance you will get. This goes the same with CPU speed. The faster CPU speed you induce, the faster your memory speed will go.

Last edited:
Back