• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ThermalRight SLK-947U big improvement over TT Volcanoe 11+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreIU

I have some TT SmartFan II's on the way, and I figured I might get a good HS while I am at it too.

I am terribly dissapointed with my TT Volcanoe, the temps are SO high under load, they are like around 60C. I just applied my AS5 yesterday, so maybe I should wait a few days to see if the temps will go down a little.

At any rate, should I see a GOOD difference in temps between my current set up and the ThermalRight SLK-947U with a SmartFan II?? Thanks for any info.

Thats a bit high, though it all depends on your room temp and airflow inside the case, tell me more about those values.

Temp room is somewhat above average, case flow is good I think, case temp is at 24C... 80mm intake in the front, 80mm intake on side, 2 80mm exhaust in back.

Maybe I am being impacient with the AS5 and the "break-in" period that it needs. I don't know... It is so tempting to order the Thermalright, but I would like to know if it would make a worthwhile difference..

What is what you call average, give me some temps :p

Mine is around 28c at nights and 30c on the days, current temps are 46c idle, 54c full load with a Volcano 12 and AS5. Case airflow is kinda cheap, it needs improvement, and my room temps are also quite high.

My CPU temp right now is 57 (being Primed at the moment) and that seems high as hell. CPU is running at 2504mhz right now. I am in a college dorm room with no Air conditioning and today's high was in the mid 70's. And I have no idea what temp it is in here now.

But like I said I have two TT smartfan II's on the way. One will be used for an intake fan, and the other as a HSF as soon as I get over this piece of junk HS I have now.

Heh, 21c is not a high temp at all :p my guess is that your application of AS5 needs a redo, clean the heatsink and core with brake cleaner and reaply the AS5, as thin layer of it, and also wipe the heatsink with it, just like AS instructions says.

Also, 2504mhz is one nice big overclock, my guess is that your vcore is right now at around >1.8v, where is it right now? That is one cause of terrible amounts of heat.

9mmCensor said:
Yeah you'd see a difference in those two sinks... certainly worth the money in my eyes.

Great, just what I wanted to hear.

Would I have to reapply the AS5 onto my CPU after removing the HS? thanks.

ricmm said:
Heh, 21c is not a high temp at all :p my guess is that your application of AS5 needs a redo, clean the heatsink and core with brake cleaner and reaply the AS5, as thin layer of it, and also wipe the heatsink with it, just like AS instructions says.

Also, 2504mhz is one nice big overclock, my guess is that your vcore is right now at around >1.8v, where is it right now? That is one cause of terrible amounts of heat.

I applied the AS5 correctly, so I will not mess with that... the vcore is at 1.750 I believe; I am not sure how much longer prime will last tho. I will definitely go to 1.8 and if this heatsync cannot handle it, I will for sure get another one.

I am just unsure if I should wait a few more days for the AS5 to brea in.

2504mhz is too high for air, but 57c is a high temp for a 21c room, my second guess is that your case airflow is zero or totally bad oriented, and that the heatsink must be remounted. If you go to 1.8v you will go over 60c, and you dont want that right now, if you cant lower your temps now there is not a big chance on taking them down 20c by just changing to a thermalright heatsink.

Yea...you will notice a big difference.

My case temp is 29.5

and my CPU temps are 45.5 idle and 48.5 load using an SF2 and SP97

And you have a nice case airflow and your room temps are not high and your thermal compound looks to work well. It is clear to me that there is a problem in some point at this guy's install of heatsink and thermal compound. Also, the overclock is too high like to expect temps below the 40c.

ricmm said:
2504mhz is too high for air, but 57c is a high temp for a 21c room, my second guess is that your case airflow is zero or totally bad oriented, and that the heatsink must be remounted. If you go to 1.8v you will go over 60c, and you dont want that right now, if you cant lower your temps now there is not a big chance on taking them down 20c by just changing to a thermalright heatsink.

Ok first of all, 2504mhz is NOT too much for air, if you would have looked at my sig, you would have seen that it is a Mobile Barton (read more on forums if you dont know what they are capable of).

Second of all, my case temp is just fine, the set up is just fine, and I have my wires tucked in. Air flow in my case is just fine.

Thirdly, I am perfectly aware how to seat my heatsync, I have messed with it for I dont know how long.

I will go with Sentential and 9mmCensor's suggestions and get the better HS. I dont know why I oculdnt have listened to them before I bought the TT. Thanks for the info guys.

ricmm said:
And you have a nice case airflow and your room temps are not high and your thermal compound looks to work well. It is clear to me that there is a problem in some point at this guy's install of heatsink and thermal compound. Also, the overclock is too high like to expect temps below the 40c.

Yes good job, there is a problem. The problem is with the HS sucking, and possibbly with the burn in time of the AS5.

I never said anything about expecting 40C temperatures on air at load. If you cant help, dont. ;)

Hmm well, whatever, perhaps you have a crappy mobile, but I stand my word, your heatsink is bad installed and you wont go to the middle 40c's on full load with the thermalright heatsink unless you install that one well. 21c for a room temp just cant make a processor hit 60c with a volcano 11, have you tried it without the overclock? to see where it goes. A friend have one of those and it works really neat.

Btw, of couse a thermalright heatsink would be better, its up to you.

A bad mobile barton? You make no sense, dont talk out of your ***. ok? ok. Never did I say that the room temperature was 21C, I said that the case temp was about 24C. Can you dig? Please stop telling me I dont know how to install my HS, you are not making youself useful. No point in replying to this, ricmm.

I will order the SLK-947U from heatsincfactory.com first thing tomorrow. I think they have it there for around 34 USD, seems like a good deal.

Is there a certain product I should use to clean it off? I dont believe I saw instructions on their site for removal. Thanks again, appreciate it!

"The recommended cleaners are:

CPU Core:
Use high-purity isopropyl alcohol or acetone and a bit of careful rubbing.
Do not use nail polish remover as it contains fragrance oils and other contaminants.
(If you use acetone, do a final cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.)

Heatsink:
Use xylene based products (Goof Off, some carburetor cleaners and many brake cleaners.), mineral spiritsm or high-purity isopropyl alcohol.

Remember:
Once you have applied a thermal grease or melted a thermal pad onto a heatsink, it is impossible to remove all of the grease or pad from the microscopic valleys in the heatsink using standard cleaning chemicals and paper or fabric towels. Any subsequent thermal material will be applied over the remnants of the original material.

Never use any oil or petroleum based cleaners (WD-40, citrus oil based grease removers and many automotive degreasers) on the base of a heatsink. The oil, which is engineered to not evaporate, will fill in the microscopic valleys in the metal and significantly reduce the effectiveness of any subsequently applied thermal compound."

SOURCE :)

Ah crap, they were at the bottom of the page :D . Well sorry about not looking more carefully, long day. Thanks!

Back