• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RPG with no fee!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woods

I am a big fan of rpg's and have played many of them, on consoles. I would like to get into one on my pc that A: does not require me to use an emulator (I am playing through FFVII again) and B: does not have a monthly fee. I am poor and go long periods or time not even on my pc let alone playing games so it would be a waste of money. Grafix are not a real big deal but story is. I still sometimes bust out with some FFII and FFIII every now and then. any suggestion?

I would get KOTOR, that game has gotten many GOTY awards and I have played it and it was very fun. It doesn't have multiplayer but has killer single player

Kotor, FF3 (US), Secret Of Mana and Neverwinter nights were the only RPG's I have ever finished. Out of these only NWN and KOTOR can be played on the PC without an emulator. KOTOR really is an awesome game. If you are even a remote star wars fan you will love that game.

Last edited:
Good catch Evnas I didn't finish what I meant to say up there.

I meant it as those games were the only ones I ever finished so they must be good.

Definitly go with KOTOR though ... must play it again as a Dark side character.

I think Iwill try KOTOR. I had forgotten about secret of mana. That was a great game. I am going to have to dig it out now. Thanks guys.:D

KOTR is great.. also dont forget about Chrono Cross.

That was a great game.

MMORPGs are wholly overrated. Ill never pay to play em

Sentential.. thats cause you never tried one perhaps? While I'm not a fan of the p2p marketing gimmick.. Some of the pay to play games are worth a few bucks.

I plan to pay for lineage for at least a long as it takes to check out a castle seige.

another vote for KOTOR, i wasnt even interested in starwars before playing this game and at first was a bit sceptical about buying it for this very reason. now i honestly can say this is one of the best games i have played, ever

and i am also a bit of a starwars fan now aswell :)

Some of those MMORPGs like Ultime Online have "player-run" servers so it's basically free. I dunno if playing on those free serversr are as good as playing on a pay server though. If you're playing old Nintendo RPGs I suggest playing the Dragon Warrior and Breath of Fire series. Both have great storylines.

I would play Fallout 1 and 2, yes they are old, but that just makes them VERY cheap. They are still the best to date. Only RPG that I played over and over. Stay away from MMOs :p

I think that the best single player RPG in the past few years has to be Morrowind. The game of the year editon includes the two expansion packs and is still reasonably priced ($30) I think. It has a great and very involved story and many side stories within guilds and such. It is one of the best games I have ever played, and it has good gfx to boot.

Oh, and the mod community is great, so you can continuously add new items, NPCs, buildings, and most importantly, quests so the game really never runs out of story or possibilities.

I just can't say enough good things about that game! :)

Back