• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with Shuttle mobo, cpu or ram? Haven't narrowed it down...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MissionCritical

Hi everyone. I'm running an Shuttle AN35N that will not run at anything above 175 FSB without thousands of errors in Memtest test #5. Regardless of what I chage in mem timings, voltage (cpu and mem), optimal/aggressive interface, AGP fast writes, cpu multi., etc. I think I've tried every possible setting combination with this board.

It will boot into Windows at around 205 FSB (100% mem) but the errors make me think twice.

The system will run with no errors if is set the FSB to around 166 with the mem at 120%.

Here's some specs:
PSU: Antec True430
CPU: XP 1600+ (unlocked)
MEM: Corsair XMS CMX512-3200C2

Does the XP1600+ run out of steam at high FSB or should I look at the Corsair as the problem with this board?

I want to get a handle on this before I start swapping parts at random.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

to narrow down the possible sources of your problem, you have to look at it scientifically. only change one variable at a time. i would try to change the multiplier on the cpu to somewhere at or below stock speeds, (with the ram cranked up) and seeing how high you can get the ram before it goes unstable. if it still goes unstable at above 175 then you need to boost the voltage on your NB. if that doesnt help, its the ram. (or the northbridge is incapable of running higher than a certain speed whatever the voltage)

Try 11-3-3-2.5 timings and lower multi to 7 or 8. The XP1600+ is a Palamino core I believe and they don't tend to OC as well as T-Bred cores.

Regards, Balrog

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to go through another round of testing step-by-step. Beforehand, I plan to take the board out a take a look at the northbridge and southbridge cooling. I'll probally throw a fan on the northbridge just to be sure.

I may try the Vdimm mod also. I hear that the Corsair I have likes higher voltage.

Back