• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I kill my harddrive??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobby Manus

Hey guys just got my new setup working yesterday. 8kha w/ a 1.4ghz athlon. My harddrive is an ibm deskstar 75gxp and I think it may be bad. I left the comp on overnight while it was defragging, and when I woke up everything was still fine. Rebooted it and it posted in windows fine. Then I rebooted again and changed the FSB to 150mhz from 133. Didnt boot, so I figured I just pushed it to hard, 150mhz on the fastest memory timings. So I put it back to 133mhz fsb, and reboot. It doesnt post. :confused: :eek: :confused: I try rebooting again... Still no go. Just sort of hangs right before the windows splash screen is suposed to come on. The epox 8kha has a LED display to help you debugg any problems, and it is still displaying FF which is basically normal. Thats what it displayed while it was working at least. Anyone know what my problem might be? Any help is really appreciated I really want to get back online :mad:

Try clearing the cmos.
Look in the manual for the jumper it should be near the battery.
Also unplug the power to the pc or shut off the switch on the power supply if you have one when you do it.
If that does not fix it then boot from a floppy and run scandisk and scanreg you may have messed up your registry.

Last edited:
Actually I already tried both those things... I cleared my cmos first, and that did nothing. Then the bios has this option to load "Fail Safe Bios" and so I tried that. Same thing... Then I tried to boot up from a windos 98 se boot disk, and still same thing. :confused:

I looked up the code on the LED display "FF" and it means "system booting, this means that the bios already pass the bios right to the control system". Can anyone help me out cuase i am out of ideas. I tried taking out all the pci cards, switched the IDE cable for the harddrive, still no go. Out of ideas please help!

Does it boot up still then hang or just not boot at all?
If it just hangs uplug the hard drive cable from the motherboard and try using the boot disk again.

Last edited:
Boots then hangs at the system configuration screen, right before it displays the windows splash screen. My bro is going fishing so I have a few hours to steal his harddrive and put it back in before he notices lol.

I couldnt borrow anyones harddrive so I put mine into a different computer and it did not work!! I am going to bring my comp into the local store, this is starting to get over my head. The computer that I put my harddrive on no longer works! When it boots it just says "operating system not found" so now I screwed up 2 computers!! I gotta get ready for a beating when dad finds out :( Hopefully this local guy can fix my comp!!

Does anyone know if there are any problems with the harddrive IBM Deskstar 75GXP? I think i might of read somewhere that they recalled them or something and thats why they released the IBM Deskstar 60GXP not much after the 75gxp came out. Im really lost here so help is apreciated.

The 45gb ones.
I have had a 30gb one for 8 months and it runs a 160fsb.
When you used the boot disk you tried just to get to a dos promt right?
Then use scandisk and scanreg from outside windows.

Even with a boot disk I cant get to a dos prompt. Also that screws me over becuase I cant flash bios if I cant even get a dos prompt :( Where it displays your irq setings and what not is where it locks up btw. Could this be a voltage problem? It locks up in the same place every time though so I guess it wouldnt be voltage. I tried uping it by .5 and that didnt do anything but raise temps :confused:

Back