• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelt + Liquid question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

russm

I am planning on buying a watercooler soon, almost ordered a dangerden system yesterday but i decided to hold off until i learn a little more. i am also considering a swiftec system...

my question regarding pelt is... when combinded with a watercooling system, exactly HOW effective of a cooling system are we talking.
and how much power do i need to run the water system + the pelt. do most pelts hook up to your power supply, or do they come with there own, or is it best to give them there own seperate power.

i dont really want to put anymore load on my 400w psu

and finally if this is all a great idea, does anyone make a pelt + w/c kit i can buy?

this will be my first time watercooling and my first time using TEC. but ive been clocking for a little bit now, just time to get a little more serious. TYIA

I'm running a 226W pelt(which i recommend with cpu running so hot these days), and well get into water cooling first then move up to running a pelt, thats my first suggestion, although kits do make it easier.

Yes pelts will require their own power supply, and no they dont come with one. I built my own power supply for about 50 bucks, but it was big, hot, and very inefficient. You can buy an independant dc power supply for anywhere from 100 to 200 bucks, or buy a second switching power supply for a computer and modify it to turn on and run with the one powering your system(its almost like hotwiring it).

You should be able to find pre-made pelt kits I think, start with swiftech. I built my entire setup so I cant help you there too much.

If you get a pelt check the voltage and current requirement so you know what to look for when buying a power supply. Don't go by power ratings. My pelt works most efficiently at 12-13VDC (rated max is 15V) at 20-24 amps. Most pelts are most efficient at 75-85% of rated max voltage. So I had to find a power supply with 12V rail rated atleast 20 amps, i tried to find something 25+amps.

And they cool very good when you get it going. The mobile 2400+ i have the motherboard read 5'C on default settings. So becareful with condensation.

Lots of research will be your best friend here.

Back