• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS chip backup ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bafbrian

I was going through some old hardware of mine and found that my old CD-ROM drive contained a chip similiar to that of my BIOS chip in my NF7-S mobo.

I plan to Google the chip to see if I can use it in the board, but I need a few questions answered.

1. What are the specs of the BIOS chip in my board ?

2. How would flash this chip with the BIOS ?

3. There was a guide that Hoot made, can't find the link. If someone could link it here, it would greatly appreciated.

THX,

bafbrian

Ok, I have answered my own questions except for the last one.

The voltage on the board's chip is 3.3V and the other chip is 5.0V. The other problem that I found out is that the two chips have different specs.

The NF7-S board's chip is 512K X 8. The other chip is 128K X 8. Definitely not compatible.

But, I did find out something interesting. This is a chip that has the same specs. It is a Holtek HTLC040 chip. Apparently, this chip is used in mobos for various companies and it would work in here.

If someone has a link to how to perform BIOS flash to a new chip, it will be greatly appreciated.

So, if anyone know where I can find the chip, it would greatly appreciated.

I think what you would need to do is hotflash it with your good chip, power down and remove your good chip, lightly tie dental floss around it and reinsert it back into the socket, make sure you are at default to avoid bad flash, boot with a startup disk with the bios you want to use, when at the A: give the floss a tug to remove your good chip and carefully insert the one you want to flash, follow your manuals instructions for flashing( A:\>awdflash yourbios.bin cc/ cd /cp /py /sn /cks /r /f ) the F at the end will force the flash and overide the incompatible part # error Tmod is a great source for questions he helped me with mine,also he has blank chips if you need one.

-Milkman

Back