• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What will you LIKELY upgrade next? Please vote!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

THIS is the item I'm buying next:

• CPU

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • Memory

Votes: 22 12.1%
  • Motherboard

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 50 27.5%
  • Hard drive

Votes: 21 11.5%
  • Optical drive

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • PSU

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • HSF

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Sound card

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Other (please specify by posting below)

Votes: 20 11.0%

• Total voters

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Hi gang,

This is the 2nd of a two part poll. This one had to do with what component you'd likely upgrade next.

The "sister" poll to this has to do with "What NEEDS to be upgraded (technically)?" That poll can be found HERE Please vote in that one too, if you have a moment... ;)

This isn't a "money no object" question. I know we're not all financially capable of buying what we "want" all the time, but this poll asks "What will you replace next?"

Info from these polls will help me in choosing items to review for our Front Page. It's easy to sit here and say "Ooooh...I like that...I'll write about that part next." but that doesn't always coincide with the pulse of the community. that's what I'm trying to find with these polls.

So, the question before us in this poll is simple: "What WILL you upgrade next?" I'm not asking what you would buy if you had Bill Gates' wallet...but your own wallet. What will YOU buy next?

Thanks in advance!!

Brian

Though i need a new hard drive, I'll prolly buy an a64 first or at the same time. Like I said in the previous thread I'll most likely just build a whole new system for gaming and downgrade my current rig or part it out.

I need more HDD space thats all I need because if you look in my sig I upgraded everything earlier this year and just the HDD need replacing now.

Hello again Brian,

I voted for memory in the other poll and hard drives in this one. Again, I can do what I need with most of my system but gaming is getting to be an issue. I had to delete some stuff off of my “data” HD to make room for America's Army to download. After a couple of weeks, I decided that I didn't much care for AA so that is gone but alas so is some of the free-ware that I am fairly obsessive about keeping.

Granted, I do not use it very often so it spends lots of time not even installed but then it would be hard to keep all of it installed on my 20GB primary partition anyway.

Three years ago, 20GB drives were the largest you could get before the price/GB curve began to shoot up. However, the last time I looked there was no real price difference between 20GB drives and 80GB drives. Then if I figure in the money that I can get for my old 13GB drive on the classifieds, I can probably also afford to go for a 10,000 RPM drive as well.

Malpine Walis said:
Hello again Brian,

However, the last time I looked there was no real price difference between 20GB drives and 80GB drives.

I've noticed this as well.... Black Friday 2002, I snagged a CompUSA (Maxtor) 20GB fluid bearing drive for short money. I'd wished since I got two of them, to use for a RAID array. Nice, quiet drive.

Lat I looked, (In)Comp(etant)USA wanted $67 for one of these 20GB CompUSA (by Maxtor) drives, and 80GB drives (Maxtor by Maxtor) were $79...less with the occasional rebate offered.

Hell...I got a 160/8MB Maxtor for under $100 (AR) at Staples late last year. You'd think they'd drop the price on the older sub 40GB drives a bit in light of the prices of the big drives now available.

I just got an old lappy, and the prices for drives for those boggle my mind. $80ish for a 20GB drive...sometimes more. The lappy's got a 4GB Toshiba in it, and I can see me running out of space in future (even though it's a P266 w/ 64MB ram).

The clods on e-BAY want full retail (or more) for used 10 and 12GB drives.... *sheesh* Platinum plated, are they?!? :mad:

<end rant (if you can call it that...LOL)>

B.

I voted other,

mainly because my next upgrade will be a complete system,

I plan to upgrade when I see more SATA options, as well as PCI express, if road maps are some what on the ball I will be getting a Teja system.

Prior to that it was RAM as my last upgrade from PC2700 to PC3200, and before that it was a 60Gb hard drive added for storage, CPU/Motherboard tend to be the parts that don't change, when they need to change a new system is in order

I put my vote in for an optical drive... My birthday is coming up and I'll be getting a DVD drive. Never bothered to get one, but now my system is right next to my bed in my room, and I'd sometimes like to watch DVD's on it.

I voted for CPU in the other poll.

I voted hard drive. I need more space, 200GB isn't enough :(

Also, in my foolishness, I put my operating system on the slower 2MB cache 80GB Seagate, rather than the 8MB cache 120GB WD. When I get a new hard drive, it will likely be a Raptor, to put games like Morrowind (god that game is evil) and the operating system on. If things turn out how I want them to, however, I'll be buying a pump for my watercooling system. Those two are closely followed by a new processor, I want to get a new Mobile Barton, my 1800DLT3C is getting old. Then it would be RAM, I want some BH-5, I'm running some lucky Geil Value RAM way out of spec at nice timings, but I think it's holding my FSB back at 210. After that...I think it would be the power supply, which I'm thinking about upgrading to a PC&P. After that, the optical drives, followed up by the video card; my 9700AIW doesn't suit me =/

Voted HDD in the other poll, because 2MB of cache is slow :D

I voted other. I am most likely going to build a clear case and do something else really really neat, and then I will probably do something with my cooling.

i Voted Other...

Will be getting a wireless router so i can use my laptop while sitting outside in the sun..:cool:

I want to upgrade my ram to some PC-3200 2x512mb , then after that get a better video card.

but whit summer here im gonig to want to work on my car more so the computer just might have to wait

I'm not planning on upgrading until I do a major system overhaul sometime in the far future (which will probably be ultimately based off of socket 939), so since I'm pretty much waiting for new CPUs (and mobos I guess...but those will come with the CPU) I voted for CPU.

I'm probably going to end up buying a Mobile Barton before anything else. I need a HD more (and a PSU even before that... see sister poll :D), but I don't have enough money to get the 200GB drive that I want.

Of course, if I replace my CPU I may end up immediatly replacing my memory and mobo. Both are from the good ol' Palomino days, and I'm not sure if they'll support a Barton. Total cost... Probably close to a new 200GB HD :D

I just need $300 to fall into my lap so I can upgrade both at the same time!!
JigPu

Back