• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An interesting thread I found about DIY MACS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Papsomax

Since I have a MAC in my folding farm, and will still be buying a dual G5 soon, I belong to Team MAC OS X (just for info, I only fold for Team 32).

Here is a thread about the cost to "build" a MAC vs puchasing new and it has cost/MFlops

DIY MAC

As you can see still expensive for folding vs an AMD or even Intel box.

Hooah!

I sell macs at my work. It would be nice to be able to get a hold of some of those Dual G5's and setup folding on them before we ship them out.

Out of curiosity, how well does your mac (whichever model it is) fold?
Also, once you get the dual G5, tell us how well it folds.

Mine is an old G3 333. It's about on par with a PII 333. On the this thread Most efficent chip I have a frame rate for the G3, compared to all my boxes. On this protein, it was actually faster than the PII 333.

Hooah!

Here is a post taken from a MAC forum about PPH of the various mac's: interesting!
Well if you used the mc68k scripts to set all of yours up and ran them 24/7, I estimate you will put out about 4000 points per week on the average. You will want to set it for gormac cores of course. I have been tracking most of my (machines) and the following is based on ones with like chips and speeds. Actual points will depend on the projects that are assigned, some are very fast and some are dogs, but on the average this should be close.

G52x2 ~ 8+ PPH (points per hour)
G51.8x2 ~ 7.2+ PPH
G4(400) ~ 0.8 PPH
G4(867)x2 ~ 3.5+ PPH
PB1000 ~ 2 PPH
eMac1000 ~ 2 PPH
G3(500) ~ 0.4 PPH

About 23.9 PPH x 168 = 4015 per week!

Here are a couple of links with graphs and data for macs

Mac link 1 Mac link 2

Last edited:
I have a g3 333mhz on the same desk my comp is on to the right of me. Is there any way I can get it to fold? The problem is that it uses os9 and all the clients are osX and I can't even find an old client for os9 anywhere.

Wow, those numbers for the Mac points per hour are way higher than I expected. Can anyone verify the G5 putting out 1400 ppw :eek:

I have a g3 333mhz on the same desk my comp is on to the right of me. Is there any way I can get it to fold? The problem is that it uses os9 and all the clients are osX and I can't even find an old client for os9 anywhere.

My G3 333 is on old iMAC. I reformatted the hdd and installed OSX on it after I bumped the ram to max. It actually runs sweet on OS X. Got my copy of OS X cheap on ebay........It fold away as a client 24/7 365.

Thanks for the post, we read that earlier and that's what propagated all the mac posts by me. I know know is a lot of negative views about MAC and folding power, I am hoping these posts will clarify some of that. Unfortunatley, for us in the general public to own a farm of G5 duallies or even a copule of G5 single units is just too cost prohibitve, where we can get a 10 layer cluster of amd's for about the same price as one G5 duallie. I would love to have a farm of G5's as I have been a MAC user ever since my early college days and with work at the VA centers.

The G5 has finally made it to the level of the P4s and AMDs (at least in computational power). Their new cpu I think it is labelled"PPC-980" sounds even more impressive, is supposed to have HT and top out at 5Ghz, due out????? late 2004) See this thread PPC-980

Just wish the costs weren't so expensive. If I could get a dual G5 at cost, I'd be on it in a second (FAST420A-----MMMMMMMM)

By the way Virginia Tech's clustered 1100 G5 duallies is the worlds third fastest supercomputer. Wonder if they use that for folding??????

Hooah

Last edited:
Back