• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 700 info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimbo64

Registered
Well, I have a micron PC millenia RS 2100. With the 700mhz celeron CPU. I read some things that make it sound like the celerons OC nicely, then I see a post here thread here that suggests the 700 sucks. so I was wondering what makes it suck or not.
Also while looking at new motherboards, they list the pent, chips as FC-PGA, and the celeron as a PPxxx something. But when I run intels frequency program, it says my package is the FC-PGA. I'm assuming this doesnt really matter as they are both a 370 socket.
I also have a voodoo 4 4500 pci video card, and sound blaster mp3+ sound card. I have a 128meg PC100 SDRAM mod, and a 64meg same speed.
I figure I will buy a motherboard, 256megs of PC133 memory.
So any suggestions on a motherboard that may cut down on the chances of trouble, And maybe point me it the right direction in regard to learning more about the affects of overclocking on pci slots.
I will build my own watercooled setup, as soon as I start, this project.
And since I'm writing a 500 word essay on my own lack of know how anyway, I'll ask this too, I am currently running MBM, and my 3 sensors are reading 40, 72, 58, Celsius. albeit I dont know which is which, they were listed as winbond 1, 2, and 3. 72 and 58 are both high numbers based on what I read here. So if I overclock and run at a lower temp, say around 40 across the board, havent I really improved my systems integrity?
Thanks for any help provided, And if I seem to have not read the beginners section, Wrong! I think I read too much today!!! I've been here since 3:30, its 8:40 now, man theres alot of info here!
Thanks,
C-ya Jimbo.

well there jimbo,i say that celeron 700s overclock very nicely,i have a 700 celeron and its at 924 mhz,it can go higher,but all i have on it is a orb...i would love to get some water cooling going on,but just don`t have the funds.

and i recommend the ASUS CUSL2-C w/the intel 815EP cipsetmotherboard,its pretty nifty...heres an overview of the mobo http://www.asus.com/PRODUCTS/MOTHERBOARD/PENTIUMPRO/CUSL2-C/INDEX.HTML

hope i have helped

yah.... im going to have to disagree with you on there
my celeron didnt overclock for beans,
i got a 75mhz FSB at 876 mhz but thats it, nothing more
my advice would be to get a 800 celeron since those can hit 1+ ghz guarnteed

But what was the reason for the slow speed? Isnt it the 75mhz fsb? Wont it run at a higher setting with the right cooling? or was there other things that prevent the faster speeds.

I will check out the mobo in the morning Pandagonier, thanks for the link.
C-ya Jimbo.

endeavor i`v ehad my celeron up to 1197 mhz i prolly could go farther but i need lots of cooling.....cooling is the only thing holding me back from oc`ing that high or even farther...the highst i can go now is 924 the the orb fan i have

40, 72, and 58C ??????????

are you sure you have MBM configured right....40C is probably your CPU temp....but 72 is very high for any temp and 58 is way up there too

Hehe no ones answering him

The reason 700 Celerons o/c poorly is because of their super high multiplier.

Zuck Gou :) said:
Hehe no ones answering him

The reason 700 Celerons o/c poorly is because of their super high multiplier.

yes i was just going to mention that
a 10.5 multiplier is rather higher

Ok, so what determines the clock multiplyer? I assuming that an 800 has a lower multiplyer. As for the temps, intel says less than 80 C is fine on the CPU. that seems hot to me. But the 40, only changes 1-2 degrees, the other two vary about 5 degrees depending on what I'm doing.

Ok, so say I leave this machine alone and build one to overclock, what chip is a good one to start with? I want to go above the 1ghz mark. 1100-1200.
C-ya Jimbo.

I used to have a Celeron II 700. it did 997 @ 2.3v LoL. I don't suggest you go that high. I was just *CRAZY*!

The max i suggest you ever take your voltage to is 1.95v ~ 2v.

Yes, the Celeron II 700 has a extremely high multiplier of 10.5, and that lowers the fsb. When the fsb is lower the computer is overall much much slower.

100 fsb is very slow to me, thats why i have my Duron 750 @ 976 162fsb, instead of 1012 156fsb.

The faster the fsb, the faster the processor communicates with the rest of the system.

Yes, i suggest you forget about the 700 right now and get a better chip. I suggest the Celeron II 800. I will soon be getting one for my ABIT BF6.

1100-1200 could be a little out of range, but i think you could hit around 1100. You will also need better cooling than that orb.

ORBS SUCK. They are only good for non-overclocked speeds.

Go here

www.svcompucycle.com

Best place for heatsinks/fans.

If you want high fsb's you need better ram. Get yourself some PC150 CAS2 ram.

GOOD LUCK on your clockin!

Thanks for all the replies guys this is nice having a place where people will take the time to answer.

Ok, so how much faster would my comp be at 75 verses the 66 its at now??

As for cooling, I would get way trick on that area, I'm a machinest at heart, and build custom car and truck parts. So fabrication is my hobby. I have some designs I drew up last night for cooling.

My parents have a hopped up athlon in their comp. But I want to stay intel, So the 800 is a good choice?

Will running my FSB at higher rates mess with online game play?
Video wise?
C-ya, and thanks again.
Jimbo.

I don't have any problem running at high fsb's just when i go too high.

Too high meaning that my PCI bus is way way out of spec. For example for me to go above 41mhz PCI bus, i have to disable DMA on my hard drives. About video i think you should be fine. My VooDoo3 3000 AGP runs up to 166fsb perfectly.

I think the absolute max that Celeron II 800 will do is 1200 @ 150fsb. 150 is not bad at all. You shouldn't have any video problems/hard drive corruption.

More realistically, i think 1100 is doable. That would be 137.5fsb. Everything would be in complete spec.

OK, that make sense. Is a faster drive going to help? as in rounding out the package? say SCSI at 10,500 rpm,

And what is the target temp to aim at? is colder always better?
C-ya Jimbo.

Jimbo64 said:
Thanks for all the replies guys this is nice having a place where people will take the time to answer.

Ok, so how much faster would my comp be at 75 verses the 66 its at now??

As for cooling, I would get way trick on that area, I'm a machinest at heart, and build custom car and truck parts. So fabrication is my hobby. I have some designs I drew up last night for cooling.

My parents have a hopped up athlon in their comp. But I want to stay intel, So the 800 is a good choice?

Will running my FSB at higher rates mess with online game play?
Video wise?
C-ya, and thanks again.
Jimbo.

if you absolutely want the fastest intel CPU for home use, then go with a PIII 1ghz

Ok,
After some quick research, I've come up with this combo.

CPU, PIII 1ghz,

mobo ASUS CUV266 DDR266,

Mushkin 512meg DDR SDRAM PC2100,

ASUS makes this board sound like the Overclockers dream!
Is this true?

Any input would be great.
C-ya Jimbo.

Nope. The DDRs mentioned are of different nature. DDR when referring to the CUV266 refers to the memory speed. It can do 133x2 million memory clock cycles per second (one on up count and one on down.) When Athlons are referred to as having a DDR front side bus, this refers to how quickly the CPU sends signals to things BESIDES the memory - which is either 100x2 or 133x2 million FSB clock cycles per second. Which is why the Athlon with its DDR133 (266) FSB will and usually does run on boards with only a 133 MHz memory speed. There are quite a few DDR memory chipsets for the PIII, including the VIA Apollo Pro 266 (as is on the CUV266), and the SiS 635 (as on an ECS K6S5A).

As for DDR's effectiveness on an Intel chip, well, that's another story. The Athlon's EV6 bus (the DDR FSB I was running my mouth about) is the reason why it can take advantage of DDR memory ; it just has quite a bit more bandwidth it can shove signals from the memory, through the CPU, and to output devices with. The Celeron/PIII 'SDR' FSB becomes a limiting factor to the DDR memory's effectiveness, not the processor itself. The DDR memory would love to cram 2.1 GB/s theoretical bandwidth through a PIII, but it's chipset/CPU/FSB architecture just won't allow it. An Athlon, on the other hand, takes much better advantage of all this number crunching.

There. I'm done. I'll shut up now. Also, feel free to correct any points I may have inadvertently misconstrued here. I'd like for posters to get accurate information, and I'm typing faster than I can think, so something may have come out wrong. Thanks for listening!

Back