• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot idle temp.s and 56k dial-up...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MetalSiren

Registered
When I dial-up to my isp then disconnect an then redial my cpu temp.s rise all the way upto about 47c :( an thats idle (mbm5 used). My usual temp's are anywhere from 32c-38c idle in win98. Then when I shut down my system it won't shut off like theirs something running in the background. I even touched the heatsink an it was burning up. btw, I have the ocz gladiator w/ 92mm panaflow fan.

Does this happen to anyone else or know how to fix this?? This is a real pain when I don't connect at 49.3k or better the first time through.

My mobo is a Kt7a w/ t-bird 1.2ghz 266fsb.

I also have a shut down problem when my modem is still hooked up if I disconnect first I will generally shut down right away

as for your temps going up that seems normal as hooking up to the internet is cpu intensive for a minute or two you should work on those temps as they seem a little high

are you using thermal grease ??:D :D

Its not when I connect to the internet when the temp.s go up. Its when I disconnect then redial into my isp. It starts at around 38c then rises to 47c an stays that way till I turn my computer off.

Yes, I'm using thermal grease. :rolleyes:

Your modem is prolly a winmodem. THis means all the functions that are normally carried out in hardware have to be decoded by your cpu. Also you might have a client-authentication program like me running all the time. I think mines called RNAAP in the background. My temps go up by 3-5ºC when im surfing, mines a hybrid modem (Part Hardware / Part Software)

MetalSiren said:
Its not when I connect to the internet when the temp.s go up. Its when I disconnect then redial into my isp. It starts at around 38c then rises to 47c an stays that way till I turn my computer off.

Yes, I'm using thermal grease. :rolleyes:

My modem is deffently not a winmodem. My modem is a U.S. Robotics 56k v.90 fax modem (about 3 years old). And I do see the "Rnaapp" running in the background. I noticed that when I disconnect its still running in the back ground. Maybe thats the problem??

btw, As I write this my temps are cpu: 36c and case: 29c ambient: 26c.

56k US Robotics!! I'd say that aint winmodem LOL

I want an External Diamond Supra Express 56k Pro next month though, they even beat US Robotic modems.

Its RNAAP, dont shut it down. Your ISP uses it for cut-off time verification and hand-shaking client i think. Nothing you can do about it mate :(

Back