• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air cooling problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iamjero

Registered
Here is my set up....
2 80mm fans blowing in from the back
1 80mm fan blowing out from the PSU
2 80mm fans blowing in from the side of the case
2 80mm fans blowing in from front
1 120mm fan blowing out from the top of the case

I have moved all the wires out of the way to promote good air flow and used about 40 zip ties to keep everything neat. All the obstructions have been minimized.

I have an all copper heatsink with a cooler master 7+ blowing on my CPU.

My temps running Prime95 are 56 CPU and 25 case. :mad:

Is it odd that there is a 28 degree difference between my cpu and case?

What are some ways I can reduce my CPU temp?

1.) What's your ambient temp?

2.) How much thermal paste did you apply? It's highly possible that you applied too much.

3.) Looking at your configuration I tell there might be lots air turbulence in your case. You only have 2 exhausting fans, that might be a problem. Perhaps try reversing the 2 80mm fans at the back to exhaust. Or try ducting the fans so air will flow directly to the HS.

4.) Are you overclocking? What kind of voltage are you running?

iamjero said:
Here is my set up....
2 80mm fans blowing in from the back
1 80mm fan blowing out from the PSU
2 80mm fans blowing in from the side of the case
2 80mm fans blowing in from front
1 120mm fan blowing out from the top of the case

I have moved all the wires out of the way to promote good air flow and used about 40 zip ties to keep everything neat. All the obstructions have been minimized.

I have an all copper heatsink with a cooler master 7+ blowing on my CPU.

My temps running Prime95 are 56 CPU and 25 case. :mad:

Is it odd that there is a 28 degree difference between my cpu and case?

What are some ways I can reduce my CPU temp?

remember fans blowing in also blow the heat off their motors in..
try changing the fans in back to exhaust also....

LOL.

Ok, is the HSF running at full speed?

Try lapping the HS?

And reverse the direction of the fans at the back...

Tawcan

"1.) What's your ambient temp?

2.) How much thermal paste did you apply? It's highly possible that you applied too much.

3.) Looking at your configuration I tell there might be lots air turbulence in your case. You only have 2 exhausting fans, that might be a problem. Perhaps try reversing the 2 80mm fans at the back to exhaust. Or try ducting the fans so air will flow directly to the HS.

4.) Are you overclocking? What kind of voltage are you running?"

Temps and voltage are in my sig. Sorry but I didnt have them up for the first post.

I applied two small drops and spread them over the chip.

I will switch the two 80mm's in the back to blow out.

How much of a difference can I expect if I use arctic silver 5?

It heavily depends on what voltage ur using...what chip...and what ambiant temp.

Ur temps could be within the "normal" range

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=239

Robotech wrote:
The copper skived heatsink with aluminum fan shroud performed quite well. It closely matched the Volcano 11+ performance and came very close to the classic AX-7 with axial fans. After the formal testing was completed, I lapped the Aero 7+ heatsink base to #600 grit and performed a quick re-test. Lapping the base improved the CPU full load temperatures by 2.4° C.

So I will try lapping the HS.

Anyone use Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound? I have seen some very good reviews of it.

tHanks yall. This is my first post here and I can see that Ill be here quite a lot from now on.

Anyone know what are the important properties to look for when considering thermal paste?

You want a high silver content....also stick with AS products. They never let me down... also

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS
...and the sickness:eek:

Change the two 80mm fans that blow in at the back to suck air out instead. Think someone else suggested that as well.

creepster said:
Change the two 80mm fans that blow in at the back to suck air out instead. Think someone else suggested that as well.

Yes they did =) And there is a good reason for doing this, when you have increased pressure inside your case, the air particles become more condensed and make it easier to heat up. 1 or 2 intake fans will do you good, always try to have more out than in.

iamjero said:
Anyone know what are the important properties to look for when considering thermal paste?

Brand. Most "silver" pastes have either no silver in them or silver oxide (which has no thermal conductivity). The two brands that are known to have silver in them are Arctic Silver and OCZ Ultra 5+ (don't get the Ultra II, that had no silver in it; the Ultra 5+ is the exact same thing as Arctic Silver 5, just rebranded).

Back