• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eVGA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zoplax

Registered
Hi all, I got this card for my Intel D850GB motherboard, and it seems the card may be bad. I first reinstalled Windows XP Pro, then installed the latest drivers via the link at the eVGA.com site, then performed all the Windows updates including DirectX and all. Also installed latest drivers for my network card and other peripherals, and made sure there were no IRQ conflicts with the video card.

The previous card, a Chaintech nVidia GeForce 440MX, died due to cooling problems (the stock fan was clogged with dust and I found this out too late), but up until that point it ran solidly for over a year.

I hooked up the new card along with its supplementary power, and about 1 out of 4 times, the video display would be scrambled just after POST. Thereafter, assuming the system made it into the Windows GUI, it consistently would lock up after maybe 5 - 15 minutes. Even in Safe Mode, even before the Windows GUI loaded (e.g. at the CHKDSK screen).

I tried a known good PCI card and it works fine, I'm typing this post with that card installed.

I've gone ahead and RMA'd the 5700 Ultra. Anyone else had bad experiences with the eVGA brand? First time trying it, so far not liking it. Could it be my motherboard? I have its latest available BIOS, installed latest chipset drivers from Intel's site, etc. The board says it will support AGP 8x which I believe this card is.

Anyway, thanks for any comments. :(

my evga 5700u died on me, computer won't even boot up with it in. i don't know what happened to it, but now i got an xfx 5900XT and i love it :D

Back