• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CDROM question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alice

Can you open/close a CDROM by crossing some wires on the IDE cable? I don't feel like playing with it only to get no result as it's about 4:20 AM and I'm starting to get tired. If this isn't possible, what other ways are there to open a CDROM drive? Also, would it work the same for a ZIP drive? I don't think I'll ever stealth my drives, but I'm thinking of making a central control panel for everything on my computer. Oh, That reminds me: Can you extend a jumper and make it into a switch, or would that cause problems? Thanks in advance.

probably the easiest way would be to remove the old eject button and solder in a new one attched by a long peice of wire.

Shamless plug here I know, but I've just written a complete Optical drive stealthing walk through over at the " Project Tsunami Zen Master" thread. You might find stealthing easier than you thought!

Last edited:
I agree with FarEast, however you don't have to remove the eject button, you could also connect a momentary switch in parallel with the existing switch.

About the jumper, it doesn't have to cause problems just as long as you don't flip the switch while the PC is up and running (Some people have already done this for the 'clear CMOS' jumper), of course possible problems may vary depending on the application you're going to use it for.

I just figured that since I've been cutting so many holes im my case lately, that I may as well cut a hole for something other than a fan. You see, I'm currently using this old dell case from a dimension v400. There was this ugly dell logo on the front of the case and I wanted it gone. So I traced a fan-sized circle and whipped out the soldering iron and the sand paper. It looks okay, but the hole isn't perfectly round. Shortly after completing this, I had a feeling much like the one I got after my first cigarette. I suppose case modding is adictive. It's sad though; I always try to tell myself that I'm not a nerd. I have friend(s), nice clothes, and people like to be around me (sometimes). But behind all that is the raging nerd, waiting for her chance to escape. Enough ranting! If I can't complete this project without opening my drives, I probably wont do it... unless I add a connector so it's removable. Hmmm... I guess I'll just have to wait and see how I feel the next time I have some cash to spend on switches. Thanks a lot you guys!

Back