• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on switching an existing Os with Ide to Sata

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Milkman

Can anyone tell me if I can switch my existing Os that is on the Ide controller to my onboard sata, I seem to remeber that if you enable the sata in the bios and then boot to the Os on the ide and load drivers and then switch to the Sata connector that it would work, can anyone confirm this?

OK, it sounds like you want to boot from the SATA harddrive, but you currently have the the OS on the IDE harddrive. So yes, once you load the drivers for the SATA port into the OS, you will be able to power down, run the SATA cables to that harddrive, make the SATA bootable via BIOS, and then boot from that SATA drive. Is that the answer you're looking for? By the way, I did this when I swapped motherboards from a Soyo Ultra Platinum 400 to an Abit NF7-S last week. You will see a speed increase using the SATA ports.

- Wisdom

Great! Glad I could help.

But I need to clarify something for anyone else reading this - when I swapped motherboards I also needed to do other things because I moved from a VIA chipset to the NVidia chipset. So don't just make that kind of move without researching it unless you're planning to re-install the OS.

- Wisdom

Back