• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Order the Windows Security Update CD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hallen

Order the Windows Security Update CD (FREE!!)

Order the Windows Security Update CD
Updated Date: March 23, 2004

The Windows Security Update CD will be shipped to you free of charge. This CD includes Microsoft critical updates released through October 2003 and information to help you protect your PC. In addition, you will also receive a free antivirus and firewall trial software CD.

This CD is only available for Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows 98 Second Edition (SE).

Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

The 1st CD provides updates for Windows 98, ME, 2000 & XP all the way up to February 2004.

The 2nd CD is a free copy of E-Trust EZ Armour LE that's good for 1 year from Computer Associates.

Last edited:
TC said:
Or install Linux...

LOL. I bought Mandrake 9.0 in January but can't install it here in Cleveland as all my Video are 480 X 640. I can't get the GUI to display. Soon I'll be back in NY. Keeping two places is killing my budget. Haven't bought a piece of hardware all year. Poor Newegg must be going broke.:cry:

Harvey

Last edited:
hallen said:

LOL. I bought Mandrake 9.0 in January but can't install it here in Cleveland as all my Video are 480 X 640. I can't get the GUI to display. Soon I'll be back in NY. Keeping two places is killing my budget. Haven't bought a piece of hardware all year. Poor Newegg must be going broke.:cry:

Harvey
No they're not - trust me :D Me on the other hand....

Microsoft Releases New Patches for Windows Flaws

E-Mail This Article

Print This Article

Subscribe to The Post

By Allison Linn
AP Business
Tuesday, April 13, 2004; 7:50 PM

SEATTLE (AP) -- Microsoft Corp. released three critical patches Tuesday to fix Windows security flaws that could allow an attacker to take over another person's computer.

A fourth patch, which the company called "important," fixes a similar vulnerability in versions of the Windows operating system, which runs more than 90 percent of the world's computers.

The patches, released as part of Microsoft's regular monthly update, apply to Windows editions dating back to Windows 98, and also affect server systems going back to Windows NT Server 4.0.

The repairs are aimed at preventing an unauthorized person from being able to install new programs or to view, change or delete data on someone else's computer.

Similar flaws resulted in the Blaster worm, which hobbled hundreds of thousands of computers worldwide last August.

A security expert predicted that the latest flaws could result in a similar attack, perhaps as soon as two weeks from now. Windows users who install the patch would not be affected.

"There's definitely going to be attacks that come from this, just because of the criticalness of the vulnerability," said Marc Maiffret of Aliso Viejo, Calif.-based eEye Digital Security Inc., which discovered some of the flaws.

Maiffret said eEye found some of the flaws as long ago as September. He criticized Microsoft for not taking quicker action.

Stephen Toulouse, Microsoft security program manager, said the company would release a patch more quickly if it thought a flaw were being exploited. But in general, he said, Microsoft tries to release patches just once a month to make it easier for customers to keep track of the downloads.

Since the beginning of the year, Microsoft has released 13 patches for "critical" updates to its software. The company is scheduled to release a free update for the Windows XP operating system later this year that is aimed solely at improving security.

Back