• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Klutch

Registered
This morning, after getting help from Edge386 last night (thanks again, Edge) I went into my BIOS and increased my FSB by 1mhz, as advised. This meant my processor's speed increased by 13mhz to 2.614ghz.

I then saved and exited the BIOS and booted as normal. I checked the temperature straight away and it recorded around 40ºC, no change from what it was. So, I loaded Prime95 and started a Torture Test... At the end of 'Test 1' my CPU temperature read 60ºC (according to MBM 5). This is where I stopped because I've been told not to go above that point.

I went back into the BIOS and changed it back to how it was before I had changed it, and ran the Torture Test again. There was basicly no difference in the temperature at the end of Test 1, to how it was with my mini-OC.

So now I'm unsure. Is it normal for my CPU to reach this temperature during a Torture Test? - even at the standard settings?

Is this where I'm suppsoed to be measuring the temperature of my CPU or am I getting this wrong? Am I suppsoed to measure the CPU's temperature when idle?

After seeing my CPU reach this temperature I've decided to buy another 2, 80mm case fans (2 of those Tornado ones - quite loud, but very high airflow). At the mo I've got 5 fans (I think) - 2 case fans, CPUs fan, and 2 on the PSU.
--- When I get my two new fans, will this be enough?

Any help or advice would be greatl appreciated :)

Note: Apart from the high temperature, the Torture Test had no errors, but I only ran it for about 4 - 6 minutes.

First of all It sounds like your running a pos hsf or the stock one with the thermal pad installed. The other answer is yes during torture test your cpu will hit the highest possible temp. My advice is that you upgrade your sink if you want to overclock because I have forced wimpy sinks to deal with more heat than they were built for but its not something thats 100% reliable. Also put one of those tornado's blasting over the sink itself if you feel like modding your case this should help with your temps and put the other as an exhaust to drag away the excess hot air.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into upgrading my stock HSF; any recomendations anybody?

I was thinking about modding my case so I probably will have a go at carving out a hole aimed at the CPU :)

Could someone tell me where I am supposed to be checking my CPU's temp tho please? Should I be checking it when my comp is idle or when it is under stress, ie the Torture Test?

Thanks again

i would suggest a thermalright slk947u and a 92mm hi flow panaflo fan. nearly silent and tons of cooling ability. i use that on my highest end p4 rig.

www.sidewindercomputers.com usually has good prices on them.

idle temp really means nothing. most people go by load temps here. you can use motherboard monitor 5 or if your mobo came with a temp utility you can use that.

Thanks for reply.

I've had a look at the ThermalRight SLK947-U and I think your right, it does seem to be one of the best. However, it needs mounting holes in the motherboard which I dont know if I have.

I've taken the side off my case and had a look, but I cant see any :( But I also had a look at my .pdf manual and it shows, in the diagram, a hole in each corner inside the heatsink bracket (aka Clip Support) (hidden from my view atm bevause I have my heatsink and fan attatched). But Im not 100% sure if these are what I need to have.

I'll take the heatsink off later and have a proper look, but if ayone has an Abit IC7 or IC7-G and know if those wee holes are are what I need to mount the bracket for the ThermalRight SLK947-U please post and say, thanks.

Edit - When I say that the holes are inside the heatsink bracket I mean within it's perimiter, not actually holes goining into the bracket its self - Would post a picture of what I mean but I'm not sure how, or even if its possible on this forum.

Last edited:
every p4 mobo has the right holes for the thermalright heatsinks because they all come with that bracket. :)

Back