• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coleman tec

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

Found a rockin' coleman cooler today..took it apart, lo and behold, a 12v tec! it's 40x40 mm, and has the serial number (I think it's a serial number) of 05240500. also a little clit of sorts attached in series with the positive wire....judging by it, it's a temperature sensor of sorts. Heres the pic.

Attachments

• dsc00008.jpg
    dsc00008.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 196
A Thermo Electric Cooler aka peltier

When power is run through it, all the heat jumps to one side and the other gets very cold ;)

A Thermo Electric Cooler aka peltier

When power is run through it, all the heat jumps to one side and the other gets very cold

wow never heard of one of these before. How cold exactly and could it be used to cool a CPU? sounds pretty nifty to me.

they are also called peltier elements, im sure you have heard :D
you can use it to cool the cpu, but it needs about 300 watts (if i remember correctly), which costs a looooooooooot of money...

One side of the pelt gets really hot and the other cold. The only sensable way to use a pelt on a cpu is to have watercooling for the hot side since the cold sides temp is relative to the hot sides temp. A cpu pelt should also be no less than 226w and it will require its own psu that can put out about 25a on a 12v line. The cost's aren't too bad but after you finally set it up you have spent almost as much as a used phase change cooling system would cost.

Back