• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water vs. Air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bwgames

Registered
I know we all say Water is better, but...

I'm trying to decide between a SP-97 + Tornado (on a rheostat), and this.

$25USD/£15 difference.

It would be used with this case...

Advice please?

I don't know about the specific kit but its usually the trend that cheap kits like that peform equally if not worst than high-end air cooling like the SP-97. With your price difference so small you could probably use either, the air is cheaper but the water is quiter, but on the other hand water is cooler IMHO and would go with it if your looking for bonus points at the next LAN.

Uh, isn't the Aquarius III insanely expensuve or I missing something? Its not a budget WC setup, quite the opposite, it looks good but it prob still won't cool much better than high-end air becaise of the nautre of its components.

Yeah, it sells for £140/$250 new (the III), but I've found it used for just $25 more than a new II.

Having said that, according to a review I've just read, the III is slightly worse than a SLK-800 in terms of cooling (3 degrees ish), but is 21dBa compared to 49dBa for the SLK.

Looks interesting - I'm new to WC'ing (yes, this really should be placed in the WC forum now sorry) so slightly twitchy about putting water in my case.

Has anyone used those WC'ing setups - opinions or advice?

I know we all say Water is better, but...

I never say that...Air all the way, just use a fan controller and it's all good, plus you have 0 chance of spilling water inside your case and you it is much easier to move a case with air cooling. Only go water if you can afford a good set of items and really want to spend money to get the best or you will not get the results you want.

Thats true, however, to get the same performance with air is about 45dBa, compared to 20-25 with WC....

But yeah, twitchy about leaks...

dont knock water till you try it. Water done right is SOOOO much better than air its not even funny.

Leaks are not an issue, the only tims ive had a leak was when i was working in the system and knocked a hose off after much bending. No big deal, hoses dont just magically pop off.

if you do decide to go watercooling don't get a aquarious 2 kit. it's horrible there are so many reports of the pump dying and your better off with air than the aqaurious 2.

VAdept said:
I don't know about the specific kit but its usually the trend that cheap kits like that peform equally if not worst than high-end air cooling like the SP-97. With your price difference so small you could probably use either, the air is cheaper but the water is quiter, but on the other hand water is cooler IMHO and would go with it if your looking for bonus points at the next LAN.

...but your LAN argument is moot if one LANs often... so much harder to transport most water cooled systems ... :eek:

Look at the size of that radiator, then ask yourself, is putting all those extra thermal junctions into the path of the heat, going to do anything for you.... with a microscopic little radiator like that.... the answer is rather obvious....

Liquid cooling only works better when you can go overboard with physical size in things like the radiator....
if the radiator is the same size as a heatsink you can manage to get onto your CPU.... the heatsink will win by pure virtue of having less thermal interfaces for the heat to go through.... it is really as simple as that.

"Install with Back-up receiver
1. With the see-through Back-up Receiver, you can check the water at any time.
2. When the water level within the system is decreasing, Back-up Receiver
will automatically supply the necessary liquid to DC Water Pump.
"

I'm a bit stumped at this thing...... where is the water suppose to go, for this thing to have any significant value....

Back