• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux wireless issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Posidon42

First of all, has anyone ever successfully gotten a wireless card to work in linux? I am going to try to use Redhat with the Linux Terminal Server Project but the last time I tried to get this distro to run on my NF7 I had problems. Well, the first problem was that I couldn't get the onboard NIC to work. Probably my fault, but none the less, it didn't work.

This is going to be for my folding layer, as I REALLY want to get rid of the mess of having to use hard drives. Right now I have 4 machines: one running xp pro and it has the wireless NIC which is using internet connection sharing (using the onboard NIC) to allow the other 3 machines to get on the internet.

All of the machines have a built in ability in the bios to boot off the network, so I am not too worried about that.

I want to have the ability to just add new boxes as I get the $$ to do so, and having to get hard drives and all that stuff is really annoying. It would be so much better to just plug it in and go.

OK, so back to my point, have any of you ever tried doing this or have some suggestions as to how I can get started on it?

I have wireless working on my laptop, running Xandros OS2 (based on Debian). It works, but I have to inter the key everytime before I can connect. I think that there is a bug in the config software. Other than that, it seems fine. would do some googling and find what cards are suported best, then go from there...

I

I've gotten my Netgear MA311 to work in redhat 9 using the orinoco_pci module, though I'm currently having trouble with gentoo :/

No issues here with Gentoo and an orinoco silver card.

Are you sure your card is supported under Linux? Not all wireless chipsets are.

Ken

what I was referring to was having to use the wireless wrapper. I read this somewhere on one of the linux forums when referring to this wireless card (Dlink 520+). While I have your attention, does linux have any kind of internet connection sharing like MS does?

I want to share the wireless connection with the other downstream computers. This is currently working, but I don't know if it will work with linux or not.

yep, you can setup a simple firewall for this, if you are using the 2.2 kernel (ipchains) you can use the pmfirewall script. if you are using the 2.4 or 2.6 kernel (with iptables) there are other walk throughs, do some googleing.

Back