• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a Few cooling suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frizhead

Hello folks, been a lurker for quite a few weeks now and you all have inspired me to spend and irrational amount of money on a new system. I'm fairly new to overclocking but in theory I want to take this next creation of mine over the 4 gig mark if possible. I've got a post in the memory section on help with ram, drop in there with some 2 cents if ya can, but cooling is another issue.

My specs:
Thermaltake Xaser III Super Tower w/ 480w Thermaltake PS
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro
D1 p4 3.0 slk6wu 30 cap

I'm a heavy gamer if that's of any relevance but I want this system to smoke, as I understand it the wu's can almost reach 4.0 on air with a little luck and that's my goal. At the moment money is of no object even if I end up eating tunafish for the next month straight. Any help would be appreciated cause I'm at a loss here

The case is running stock fans, need to mod the grills still.
but my main question is if I go with air cooling, what's going to keep me the coldest as far as heatsink/fans are concerned for the cpu? And with this much overclocking will I need a better heatsink for the motherboard chipset? And any other suggestions would be welcome I'm all ears. Thanks fellas

well, if youre going to be on air, the only suggestion I as well as everyone else will make is the Thermalright SP-94 with probably a tornado hooked up to a fan controller.

Another vote for the SP-94 and the 92 mm Tornado here. The setup even gives awesome results when cranked all the way down on a fan controller, so do yourself a favor and buy a fan controller as well.

well... as long as EVERYONE is recommending the SP-94... I'll go out on a limb and suggest looking at the Thermalright SLK 800 (as well as the sp94), since their performance is nearly identical...

if you can get the slk 800 anywhere for less than the 94, then it'd probably be a tossup ;)

yep was figuring it would be the thermalright tornado combo. thanks for the reinforcement fellas. Any suggestions on a nice fan controller? Or would it be possible to hook it into the one atop the the thermaltake case?

sunbeam rheobus: flavors include black and silver, depending on your case color. 20 watts per channel (of which there are 4), VERY nice "hi-fi-ish" knobs, and it looks great to boot. No buzzing or clicking as with other fan controllers of the same price range (I won't name any names.... but you'll know what i'm talking about if you do a little research ;)) Great fan controller overall, if the LEDs are a bit on the bright side (you can always remove them if they really bother you).

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS Might I suggest a rheostat for the Tornado..Use your hardcano 9 fan controller for your case fans..The max amps on channel 2 & 3 are 0.8 amps...Channel 1 & 4 is 0.35 amps max..The 92mm Tornado is rated at 12 watts/ 1. amp....Below is a link to the rheo and a install guide..:)

RHEOSTAT LINK

RHEO. INSTALL GUIDE LINK

RHEO LOCATION PIC

* See next pic too..You might want to look at all the pic's..See how my case like your's has changed over 6 months..:D

Back