• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

80 watt Pelt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dcfan60

Can an 80watt Pelt be cooled with a nice copper heatsink, and a high cfm fan?
*EDIT
And where can I get an 80W pelt cheap and a copper plate?

Last edited:
Yes, it can :).

The 80W peltiers commonly used for cooling graphics cards are 16V peltiers. Because they are most often run at 12V, off of a computer PSU's 12V line, or a dedicated 12V PSU, they are actually only running at about ~55W to ~ 60W or so.

Several people have had great results air cooling a small peltier on a graphics card, and Swiftech even markets an air cooled Processor heatsink with a peltier integrated into it. One memer here had incredible results using an air-cooled Peltier on his 9600 Pro, and didn't even need a loud fan.

Also, can an 80w pelt be powered off of my PC's power supply?

It has 40A @ 5v and 19A @12v.

That 110w one would be like an 80w one @12v, right?

yea, something around there.

You might be able to power it off your pc power supply.

At 12 Volts it will probably draw about 7 or 8 amps. If you are overclocking much though, or are running a lot of things of your 12 volt line, you could be going beyond the power the PSU can supply.

I usually recomend just using a really cheap 300 watt power supply for pelts around this size. You can get them for like $10, or free if you have some laying around like a lot of people do.

Thanks for the info.

Also, how would I daisy-chain the TEC PSU to run when I start my PC?

Also, will a stock P4 heatsink be able to cool that 110w/80w TEC?

Sorry for hijacking your thread, dcfan60.

I use a little transistor to power up my secondary power supplies. Basically the power from the main power supply sends a transitor into saturation mode which eliminates the resistance between the collector and emiter, which I connect to the power switching lines from the secondary psu. It sound't a little complicated, but honnestly it is the most insanly simple thing to do. There is only one component (a transistor) and 4 connections (5V, switch, 2 grounds) I kina explained how to do it here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=289727

I'm not sure how this method compares to daisy chaining, but I like it because it has absolutly no effect on your main power supply or any other functions of your computer.

As far as the stock P4 heatsink, it can probably do the job, just not as well, so you won't get as cold of temperature.

I have to say this just incase you don't already know, but you CAN'T use an 80 or 110 watt pelt on your cpu. Your cpu puts out a lot more heat than they can handle. Hopefully you were intending to use the pelt on a videocard or something so this isn't a problem.

This is all talk in the air, because I don't even have water cooling yet, but I may start in the future.

I was intending to use the pelt as a water chiller. Either my heater core or pump would be sumerged in the TEC cooled water.

I also repled in your other thread.

Will this PSU work:

http://opsinas.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=941

11A on the 12v Rail.

I may also consider this one if I get two TECs (highly unlikely):

http://www.pcimicro.com/.sc/ms/dd/1...ply%20w^2F%20Dual%20fan%20NEW%20REATAIL%20BOX

You can use the 80 wattt pelt to cool your water a little, but you can't submerge your rediator in water cooled by the pelt, as there wouldbe too much heat for the pelt to handle.

The way to do it would be to have your water come from the cpu, go through the radiator to remove most of the heat, and then through a water chiller to cool it of a little more. This way the pelt doesn't have to cope with all the heat from the cpu.

Back