• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.8 temperature too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phantasm82

Registered
Hi, not only am I a first time poster, but I'm sort of a noob so please bear with any stupidity/ignorance that any of the following may show.

So I'm running a P4 2.8/800 FSB (not a Prescott), and I'm experiencing, from what I've seen on this forums, way above average temperatures. I'm talking 51C idle, 61-62C load (measurements from MBM). My case temperature is around 31C w/ an ambient of about 22C, which isn't terribly good but not god-awful, either. Motherboard is an AOpen AX4SPE-Max, and I'm not OCing (though I hope to later, once this issue is resolved).

The heatsink I'm using, while not stock, is one of those copper CPU coolers from Startech. Judging also from posts I've read, perhaps this is the problem? Would getting a new heatsink save me a couple degrees? I've applied AS5 as per the instructions on the AS website, and I'm pretty sure the heatsink is set properly (I've done it like 15 times).

Any advice would be great. Is there a chance I just got a processor that runs hot?

id say its way too high, if you said 50c load id still say work on it.
got a link to the cooler your using?

While you can run fine at those temps, I would suggest investing a bit in a better hsf combo for your processor, expecially once summer swings in. Pretty much anything made by Thermalright will be a good heatsink (Go for an SLK-900 or better if you can).

Rhino56 -- I've got a link to some place that sells it (couldn't find the actual link, think it's a generic). http://shop.store.yahoo.com/digitally-unique/fan478xp.html. Noisy bloody thing, too.

I was thinking about dropping the $45 or so for the Thermaltake SP-94 -- a lot of people seem to favor it. I know you have to remove the motherboard to install it, but does anyone know if the installation is fairly straightfoward? And more importantly, I guess, is it worth it? Thanks -- Eric

well it looks like that cooler you have should be better then 62c.
something is wrong there.
how many fans coming in and going out?

I changed my Heatsink to a SP94 with a antec 92mm fan but temps for me are still high. 2.8c @ 3.5 vcore 1.6v.
Idle 48 - 53
Load 59 - 64

jesus.. Way to high.. I guess stock heatsink isn't cutting it for you..lol.. Maybe it isn't the heatsink though... You might not have the heat conducting well between the CPU and heatsink.. If your in that situation, I suggest you put on a new thermal paste.. Artic Silver 5 is beyond the best..

P.S. If you do go with the thermal paste, ONLY APPLY A THIN LAYER!

Weird fan setup. My case doesn't have a front fan intake, so I'm using the one side intake, and the top fan as an intake. I know that's supposed to be exhaust because hot air rises, but it's been the coolest config for me. I have two exhaust fans in the back. All are 80mm.

I take it too much thermal paste is a bad thing? I just put a little bit on the center of the die, and let the weight of the heatsink/pressure sort out the distribution of the stuff. I think that's what Arctic Silver's website said to do.

Dark Templar -- at 64C doesn't whatever thermal regulation the P4 has start kicking down your core voltage (and presumably your overall Mhz)? At least that's what it appears to be doing with mine.

Last edited:
yes when your p4 gets too hot it starts sheddding off ppenty of MHz etc to help cool it down coz 2000mhz runs alot les hottter than 2800 mhz at 64 degrees

Phantasm82,WELCOMETO THE FORUMS
Have you removed the fan grids from your case? What case do you have? Your case temp. is med. high in my opinion..9°C above ambient..The SP-94 HS by www.thermalright.com is your best bet.
Do you have a link to your case at say newegg so I can see what it looks like..We need to get your case temp down a little too..Below is a link to my case ..look at the pics and see what I've done to get case temp. 3°C above ambient temp..See sig of rig..;)

CLICK HERE
:D

you can try unplugging the top exhaust fan, it sounds like something is pulling hot air across your hs

Thanks archilocus! The case is actually made by CompUSA, and I can't find any place on-line with pictures or such. But the fan arrangement is exactly the same as this one: http://www.directron.com/xraycase.html except with a fan coming out the top.

Rhino -- Unplugged the top fan, actually brought Case temperatures down 2C, but caused CPU temperature to rise 1-2C on idle.

Phantasm82, from the pics of that case you have 2 places in the front of the case for intake fans..Those fan grids on that case are terrible..Get rid of them, all of them..Which HS in the link below do you have..:)

SINK LINK

I've got the 478XP -- god only knows I didn't pay $59.99 for it. I'll nuke those fan grills sometime this afternoon and we'll see how that works out! Thanks for you advice/patience!

Take a look at this HS review...:) I cant find a review that has a C/W rating on that HS..:( In theory with a bigger,stronger fan on that HS, it might cool better..It shows to come with a 70mm fan..I cant find the cfm of it though..

CLICK HERE

Phantasm82 said:
Dark Templar -- at 64C doesn't whatever thermal regulation the P4 has start kicking down your core voltage (and presumably your overall Mhz)? At least that's what it appears to be doing with mine.

if i m nt wrong Thermal Throttling comes in around 75 degrees.

it seems like its pulling hot air from the psu over the cpu.
but i guess it may just be poor case flow and a bad cpu cooler.
but for sure the sp-94 is a great cooler.

that is pretty hot... I would suggest getting an all copper heatsink. I changed heatsinks to an all copper one and it dropped my cpu temp down 5 degrees.

Back