• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Sinks For Video Card ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mEKbOY

I just got a new geforce 3 video card. I already have a good GPU sink and fan for it but i need to know what the best ram sinks are. On my old card i had those blue thermake sinks and they worked well but i wanted to know if there is better.

I used the Thermaltake kit, with the 2, 13/16 x 2 5/16 heatsinks.
I pulled my gf2 card and took a quick look at the layout. Now, the heatsinks didn't fully cover the outside 2 ram chips in each row, and alot of the heatsink was wasted over empty space.

Hmmm, I put a cutting wheel on my drill, chucked the heatsink up in the vise and cut them up into sections 3 fins wide. Now all my memory chips were covered, and I had enough heatsink material left to cover other chips on the board that ran hot as well. Now it's all nice and cool.

Which got me to thinking ! There are alot of components on my mb that are small, but get nice and hot. I decided to make myself heatsinks for all the components on my board that get hot, and are flat allowing a heatsink to be installed. With that in mind, I'm going to buy a benchtop mill, stock up o aluminum and copper stock, and start making component heatsinks for even the smallest if chips on my board. Any electroninc component benefits from cooling the reason all of them don't get it on a MB is because it would probably be cost prohibitive. Well, aluminum is cheap, easy to mill, and I got spare time to make a bunch, Or, I can use my CNC mill at work :) That might get me in trouble though, so I'll buy a small mill and do it in my shop :)

RAMsinks will do nothing but good. A lot of the new mobos have wee heatsinks on more and more components. Remember, what they do is spread the heat over a larger surface area, in order to allow it to dissapate quicker. Moving airflow (your fans) helps this along just fine. So yes, use them, whatever make you use, remember to use an adhesive that will conduct heat well......

Back