• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VIA Mainboard holding me back??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maximus_OC

ok I just swapped my 1.8 Willy for a 2.0 northwood. I figured I could at least get this chip close to 2.5ghz. But I can't even get the thing to post after 106 FSB, which is 2.1ghz. I had my 1.8 willy running at 115 FSB which was 2.07 ghz. Why can't i go above 105 FSB. Is it simply the cheapo VIA motherboard or what? It doesn't have voltage controls or dividers. But the ram is still running in spec at 266 mhz. I can't figure out how to get above 105 FSB. I know this chip has alot more in it then 2.1ghz. Temps are not a problem as of yet. Of course my VIA board doesn't read the correct temps either. In PC Health in bios I am reading like 19 celcius for my CPU, and that can't be right. My old 1.8 was about that same temp as well. What can I do to get above 105 FSb any suggestions? Here are the cpu z screen shots of my setup.

for some reason my temps are looking more accurate now. I am reading like 36 C in the bios.

cpu.jpg
mobo.jpg

mem.jpg

Last edited:
I have a P4 willy. And I can't go any bit over stock without inscreasing the voltage. So running on stock voltage may be your problem.

It would never hurt getting a better motherboard.

yea you are right. I actually shorted out my old via mobo during my water install. I got a new mobo that has all the OC goodies. I am running a 2.0A now and upped the vcore some. Got a much more stable OC. I wanna throw the old willy back in this new mobo and see what I can get it too. thanks for the reply.

Back