• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blue Screen Material

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steve978

Just wanted to know what type of material they use for blue screens, the type you would use when making a movie. Also the type of material you would project onto with an LCD projector, the first being blue material second being white :D

oh I forgot to add, is there a type of white paint that I could use for a projector screen, I have a whole wall I would like to project onto.

I'm not an expert on this subject or anything. So I have no idea, but I would expect that there wouldn't be a particular material or paint. But you'd probably want one that's the least reflective. So don't use glossy paints or plasticcy material.
That's just what I think, anyone feel free to prove me wrong.
--Nathan

You want a matte finnish (not shiny) with some texture to absorb the light.

Well the paint I have on the wall already is a matte paint, so ill probably stick with that, or at least till the projector arrives. As to the blue screen I kind of need it to be big, so construction paper would be sort of a pain, I'm looking for a fabric really.

ive done work with this.

The color depends on how it contrasts with your subject. But, the way i see it, blue is for still or low movement shots. Like just sitting and talking. Bright red (yes, they do red) or neon pink is for night shots. Like a spacecraft in a dim sky or something. Green is for more movement and action. The neon green will work better in any case, since there is no green in the human skin and it will not blend in.

The movie studios use special material with this standardized chroma key. It doesnt reflect and is easy to edit out. But if your like me and just like playing with it try felt. My i went along on onea my girlfreinds crafty trips and found neon green felt at 7$ a yard, and she explained to me 1 yard really means 2. Ive had luck with it.

lighitng is a SERIOUS pain. Supposedly its 15 between screen and light, then 12 between light and camera. I cant remember the distance of subject to screen. Keep in mind u cant have ANY shadows.

Just out of curiosity, what program are you using? Ive used ulead which can be finiky but produces amazing results.

I will be using Adobe Premiere, my camera is arriving on tuesday, its just a canon zr60 but it should be fun, I think I'll try the green felt though thanks for the tip.

Back