• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I installed a new Rocker Switch on my computer...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChillPhatCat

I've never seen anybody do this, but maybe there is a product already on the market or somethin... Anyhow, I've always been one to push the absolute limit of my computer settings and I finally got fed up with resetting bios via the jumper so perhaps you can already see where this is leading.

I went down to Advance Auto and bought a $3 Rocker switch and I hacked up a CD-ROM audio cable. And now I have a rocker switch that when flipped, it mimics the act of shorting the BIOS reset jumper... so instead of leaning over and opening the computer, then finding the stupid thing, all I have to do is power down, flip the switch, wait a few seconds then flip it again and power back up.

The only thing I wonder now... what would happen if I flipped this switch while I was in windows?

Ok flipping ti durring windows is never a good thing, If you read the manual it even recommends that you shouldn`t even do it with your power cable connected, so doing so while the system is up and running could only result in bad things.

Again Im only going by the RDA8+ manual but I wouldnt recommend doing it! :p

Short Answer: "EVERYTHING GOES BOOM."

Long Answer: You risk that you totally fark your CMOS and it will never hold settings again. That and possibly kill your motherboard depending on how it is designed.

Always clear the CMOS when the computer is powered down.

hehe I would have never tried it... dumping the CMOS while powered on would obviously be bad thing...

LOL

But what do you think of my hairbrained mod?

ChillPhatCat said:
hehe I would have never tried it... dumping the CMOS while powered on would obviously be bad thing...

LOL

But what do you think of my hairbrained mod?

It's actually been discussed to be included as a feature to come with DFI Lanparty series of motherboards. Though, a momentary switch with a protector like military switches would be better.

Not harebrained at all. :)

I haven't seen anyone post the idea in quite a while though.

My newest build (a water cooled mATX system) also has the same thing- in fact, I used 4 micro-toggle switches:
1 for cathodes (safe to use)
1 for reset (safe to use)
1 for clear cmos (DANGER!)
1 for bus speed 100/133 (DANGER!!)

In my system it is pretty much mandatory: to access any of the jumpers entails use of a long pair of hemostats or disassembly of the system!

bear with me here, I'm not Electronics major but heres my idea:

build some sort of logic circuit or something that would detect a power on state of the motherboard? Maybe something that taps into a HD spare molex so that if theres power, the switch can be flipped but it won't toggle the reset, if there's no power it will reset.

I don't know if that's even possible but I imagine it would be something you could maybe build with some pcboard and parts from the rat shack?

simple to disable it when the system is on.

get a 5 or 12 volt nomrally closed relay. wire one leg to the normally closed relay. that way when power is on the connection is open and when power is off the connection is closed. woulden work on the bus speed for obvios reasons but is fine for the cmos clear.

i did the same with just 2 wires i had comeing out the back...just connect em to clear. this was a much older system and i diddnt care if it got fried, but it was fun :)

you should def. get the protected switch though, Ghetto.

You could always get a locking switch. I beieve they sell them at Radioshack. This way, the key would have to be in the lock for you to reset the CMOS? Just a suggestion...

jbloudg20 said:
You could always get a locking switch. I beieve they sell them at Radioshack. This way, the key would have to be in the lock for you to reset the CMOS? Just a suggestion...

I picture the opening scene from wargames with two guys standing next to a computer with keyed switched.

Carp, my overclock froze the machine. TURN YOUR KEY SIR!

lol

Ok im the real nub...can someone draw a diagram of how the wires would be connect to the switch....i know the mobo looks like this

| | |

1 and 2 are connected by a jumper for normal opperation and to clear you uncover 1 and short 2 and 3.....but how would it wire into a switch,

Back