• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

resolution and refresh rates=Quality?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

old silicon

Looking at graphics card specs(specifically FX5700's at NewEgg) I see a wide range of rated refresh rates. All are rated for 2048x1536 but refresh rates range from 60hz to 85hz. Are the refresh rates an indication of card quality? What is the biggest factor limiting refresh rates core, memory chips or the quality of the other components used by the card mfg?
Not that I'll ever use a resolution anywhere near that high(not with this system at least hahaha) Just looking for the card with the best potential. I know that the 5700's aren't hugely popular but for less than 140 bux they look like a pretty good buy.

thanks

The refresh rate has to do with various aspects of the memory. "5700's aren't hugely popular" -who says so? They're only second in popularity to the 5900 among enthusiasts.

The only determining factor, when you have more than just a few mb of video memory, is the RAMDACS. Their mhz rating determines the max resolution, refresh rate, and, i think, color depth.

My GF4 Ti 4400 can only do 16 bit color at it's max: 2048x1536 @ 75hz. At all other resolutions, 32 bit is possible.

I'm pretty sure that all of the newer cards can do at least this resolution, but with 32 bit color.

"5700's aren't hugely popular" -who says so? They're only second in popularity to the 5900 among enthusiasts.

Just don't see alot of discussion about the 5700(non-ultra) cards compared with the chatter about 5900xt and se is all I meant. The cards look like pretty good deals to me.

The only determining factor, when you have more than just a few mb of video memory, is the RAMDACS. Their mhz rating determines the max resolution, refresh rate, and, i think, color depth

So what exactly is a RAMDAC?

Thank you.

Just wondered what determined resolution and refresh rates. Another spec to compare when deciding what to buy. When core and memory speeds are listed as the same on two cards but one has a refresh rate of 60hz and the other is rated for 85hz at the same resolution, one mfg is using higher quality components than the other. Right?????

well, one is probably just using lower-rated ramdacs. Also, the website(s) telling you the specs might also just be wrong. If the card has the exact same model name, I would suspect that they are wrong. The specs on nvidia's website would be more accurate.

Back