• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800P's @ newegg & R360 cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Question:

I'm looking at the various 9800 Pros at newegg, and I'm wondering;

Is there any particular brand/model that I'd stand a better chance of getting an R360 (XT) core on?

I'm looking mostly at the Sapphire OEM 128MB ($211.50) and Retail 128MB ($219.50).

I'd been leaning towards the OEM, as the retail comes w/ Tomb Raider AoD (which I've already got (and finished)). So I don't really want/need another copy of it.

Or, would I stand a better shot of an R360 by getting the BBA Retail card for $232? Or.... ??

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Does it really make a difference. It seems there are lots of people who get the 360 core and can't overclock well anyway. I just got a Sapphire OEM from newegg last week. It has a 350 core. It clocks with stock cooling and a warm, heated room to 412/360. That's rock stable with NO artifacts. I suppose with better cooling and a better environment, it could clock a bit better.

Mr B: This Sapphire 9800 pro 256 ddr is the only one that I really know of that you'll have a very good chance of getting a rebadged XT out of.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-340&depa=1

This one's even got the functioning temp diode on the card. I'm not sure if you're 100% guaranteed an XT, but I've heard a lot of ppl successfully flashing it with a Sapphire 9800 XT BIOS. After the flash, all the posts/reviews I've seen on it have stated that Overdrive functions perfectly, and there is a temp reading from the diode. :)

-=[edit]=-

BTW, I think it's only the 256 ddr versions of the 9800 pros that are being released with the r360 core. I haven't heard of any 128mb versions out yet.

Well i can say that im sitting here looking at a 128mb Sapphire radeon 9800 pro 128mb with a 360 core :D
Which is quite fortunate, as i recently rma'd my radeon as it started giving me artifacts for no apparant reason (no it wasnt my fault!)
Anyways, I got this one back, which has a 360 core, and samsung memory. Just looking to see if i can flash it to an XT, which would be sweet :)

Saphire 9800pro 128mb OEM :)

R360.gif

Is there any particular brand/model that I'd stand a better chance of getting an R360 (XT) core on
IMHO the old R350 cores OCed much better than the new R360 cores....

I just got a PRO from BB... it had an R360 and it was a terrible OCer... my suggestion is to stay away from them...

---> On another note Mr. B I need some help with something....sending you a PM:(

You mean most likely a 350? I haven't OC it yet. BTW what are artifact?

Edit: Do the chips you get have anything to do with what core you have? I have samsung chips.

Artifacts are basically errors or distortion made by a video card, etc. that are caused because of a lack of cooling or just too much stress, they usually look like little dots or if you have bg problems, huge lines. Artifacts are a no no.

No, the chips really don't determine it as the R360 sometimes comes with hynix(something like that) but samsung other times.

Who manufactured your card and when did you purchase it?

I'm not sure about that *****y definition but I hope it conveys the basic idea.

How do you know if it's a 360 w/o pulling off the heatsink?
If ur gonna make the most of your Raddie, ur gonna *require* aftermarket cooling.

If I were you I'd get meself a nice videocard cooler and take the stock HSF off and find out the *right* way:p

But Tatuya summed it nicely....however Ill add to it

GPU errors: flashing stuff... eiher whole patches of the screen or white/black dots "sprinkles / glitter". These errors show up best on 3dmark03 during the "Mother Nature" test. Look at the water.. if you see white dots, its artifracting

RAM errors: long standing tearing..... whole segments of the screen turning into "broken glass" or drug out sections of objects. This sort of error is usually found on shadows

*Keep in mind that NOT all artifracts are do to thermal reasons* Even a aggresivly cooled card will artifract when it is OCed too far, despite its low teperatures

I really dont understand why someone would go out of their way to get a R360 core....

I just tried one today and its terrible with a CAPITOL T.

It maxed out at 418... any higher and everything goes to hell.

My 98NP (abeit with Infineon) kicks the bejesus outta it @ 441mhz. Although I get nailed for RAM bandwith, Im not about to shell out for a PRO when it performs so terribly.

Im gonna wade this out until late next year when the price of x800XTs come down to the $250 range

..well not exactally:D

Im using my Thermalright SK7 on my Raddie. Im gonna have to volt mod mine here soon.

Also Im not the only one who has noticed the poor quality of the R360 chips.

One of my friends cant get past 410:(

Sentential said:

If ur gonna make the most of your Raddie, ur gonna *require* aftermarket cooling.

If I were you I'd get meself a nice videocard cooler and take the stock HSF off and find out the *right* way:p

Remember a month or so ago, Joe Citarella reviewed Swiftech's MCW50-T waterblock/peltier GPU cooler? It's, um...on my Ti4200 right now. I'll work something out for the ram chips. ;)

So, cooling's all set. This is in part, why I'm intersted in the R360, as I've read several places that flashing the XT BIOS onto some of these unlocks the built in thermal sensor in the R360.

Even if not, this Ti4200 isn't stressing the Swiftie at all, really.

UT2K4 is a bit laggy in places, HALO is merely tolerable with the settings way down low...it's time for me to get a new card, and if I can score a R360 on a 9800 Pro, it'll give me that much more to work with/write up on the front page.

9800 Pro w/ R350 = 9800 Pro review, Swiftie follow up review.

9800 Pro w/ R360 = 9800 Pro review, Swiftie follow up review, "How To" on flashing the BIOS to an XT, a comparo on the card before/after...

Plus, where I'm buying it, I'll be a bit less timid overclocking the bejessus outta it, where I don't have to worry about returning it to one of our front page sponsors...:rolleyes: :cool:

Thanks for the input so far guys...Greatly appreciated. :thup:

B.

Man, i'll be happy if i can run the first test on '03 without it being choppy. :p I think almost anything would be better than my ex-5600. I think it was cheating on me with my TNT2 :p

Back