Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Quiet HSF for XP-M Overclocking

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-13-04, 11:02 AM Thread Starter   #1
CVonV

Quiet HSF for XP-M Overclocking

Hi,

I will be purchasing a AMD XP-M 2600+ and I was wondering if you guys could offer me advice on which HSF to buy. I am looking for the quietest solution but with good enough performance on air-cooling for overclocking. I have a Gigabyte 7NNXP motherboard which has no mounting holes.

I am currently running a XP 2000+ with a Volcano 9 CoolMod with the RPM set at around 2300. This is sufficiently quiet only because the sound is drowned out by the 6 8cm case fans I have. Over the 12 or so months I've had this system I've grown quite annoyed at the noise level.

For the new system I would really like it to be as quiet as possible but cannot afford to invest in a water-cooled setup. Could you guys please offer your suggestions bearing in mind that noise levels must be at a minimum but also overclocking is a possibility?

Thanks very much and your inputs are greatly appreciated.
CVonV is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-04, 11:13 AM   #2
dead_man311

Thermalright SLK-900A , it is the best clip on heatsink thermalright has

and topped with one of These with either the 80mm or 90mm
dead_man311 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-04, 10:55 PM   #4
Unoid
Registered

zalman al-cu...?
Unoid is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-04, 02:46 AM Thread Starter   #5
CVonV

Quote:
Originally posted by Unoid
zalman al-cu...?
The high end Zalman's one requires mounting holes which my motherboard does not have.

Seems like the SLK-900A is good for me. Now I just gotta pick a quiet fan to go with it.

Is it true that 92mm fans whilst running slower than their 80mm counterparts, push more air through?
CVonV is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-04, 05:12 AM   #6
Suran

Yes, it's true that 92mm fans at lower speeds push more air through - higher volume, lower pressure. And generally, less noise.

*Remembers some -unnamed- 60mm screamers in the box of a fellow sitting next to him at a lan party...*

Yea.
Suran is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool