Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Those that use the SF II as a HSF... quick question:

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-13-04, 09:30 PM Thread Starter   #1
dreIU

Those that use the SF II as a HSF... quick question:

I was wondering if it was safe to plug it into the motherboard HSF_power connector. The reason I ask is because my TT Volcano 11 has a 4pin molex connection that goes straight to the powersupply (only connecting the yellow wire to the motherboard). If I am unclear, let me know. Thanks for the help.
dreIU is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-04, 10:02 PM   #2
rxc

I would connect it to PSU. That fan draws more power than I would be comfortable with running through my mobo.
rxc is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-04, 10:08 PM Thread Starter   #3
dreIU

OK great, thanks. BUT, then why in the world does TT make them as 3pin molex connectors?
Old 04-13-04, 10:11 PM   #4
Mustanley

Your mobo manual should indicate what the fan headers are rated for. Compare that to the fan specs and then decide.

Q9550 on P5Q-Deluxe(460x8.5=3910MHz), 4x2GB GSkill 1066, 750GB WD Black HD, GTX285(702,1512,2592), Blu-ray, Silverstone OP650, Samsung 1080P 50" Plasma + Dell 2408WFP, MX1000 laser mouse, Saitek backlit keyboard, P182, Xigmatek S1283 Black Knight
Mustanley is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-04, 10:25 PM Thread Starter   #5
dreIU

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustanley
Your mobo manual should indicate what the fan headers are rated for. Compare that to the fan specs and then decide.
Not enough, I assume they were only designed for the little and slow oem AMD HSF, oh well. Not a problem.
Old 04-13-04, 11:03 PM   #6
julianba

I've been using the ttsf2 as my cpu fan for with no problems. I have it running around 4000 rpm right now.
julianba is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-04, 11:06 PM   #7
Neeseius

Are you saying it comes with a 3pin connector along with the 4pin? If that is the case, then the 4pin is for the power, and the 3pin is to monitor the speed of the fan. It allows programs to get the RPMs off the 3pin plug in your board.

If it comes with a 3pin adapter, which is different, then that means its meant for a 3pin power source, in which its perfectly fine to use your motherboard. Although if its a very fast or loud fan, I would recoment using a fan controller for it.

Mobo - MSi x58 pro-e
Processor - Intel Core i7 920
Memory - OCZ Platinum
Video Card - Radeon HD 5970
Hard Drive - OCZ Vertex 60GB
- 120GB SATA WD SATA
PSU - 620W Corsair HX
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate
Neeseius is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-04, 12:02 AM Thread Starter   #8
dreIU

Quote:
Originally posted by Neeseius
Are you saying it comes with a 3pin connector along with the 4pin? If that is the case, then the 4pin is for the power, and the 3pin is to monitor the speed of the fan. It allows programs to get the RPMs off the 3pin plug in your board.

If it comes with a 3pin adapter, which is different, then that means its meant for a 3pin power source, in which its perfectly fine to use your motherboard. Although if its a very fast or loud fan, I would recoment using a fan controller for it.
It odes not come with a 3 and 4 pin connector, only with a 3pin connector. My Volcanoe came with a 3 and 4, so I was just wondering why this wouldnt. I honestly dont see it sucking less power than the Volcano (in my sig). I do have a fan controller for it and plan to use it.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool