• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

domain based networking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLMIB

hi, I'm starting to get more and more into networking, and I have a desire to move away from work group based, where the end user can always change settings, to domain based where I can control ALL access and all permissions from one guarded server that I can completely control, this said I'm lost as to how it works, and can't afford to mess with the current network I work over and be like "oops" so I was wondering if anyone has links I can read. I checked the threads, couldn't find anything on domain based networking basics.

thanx

hmmm, most of that to me seems to be more for enterprises with multiple networked systems that need to integrate together(way over my head, although I'd like to learn it) I'm interested in forcing users to log into the network, allowing for me to run central anti virus, force system updates upon users without them fetching them(you log on, your anti virus client updates, windows installs any new updates) and setting permissions to control over the desktop, computer resources, network bandwith, printer settings, and permissions on accessing network folders.

if there is a book that you know of that would help me with this it would be most helpful

thank you

A lot of what Active directory can do is rather scary and often excessive for all but the larger networks. :D
You will need a dedicated box to run as a domain controller but this machine will also be able to act a NAV server and print server and SUS server (does the updates thing automatically The more users you have the larger this machine will need to be. I have a PII350 happily running Windows 2000 Advanced Server although I will admit it only looks after 6 boxes here at home :p
A good range of easy introduction books is the Dummies range of books, easy to understand and have good advice to get you started. www.amazon.com sells them all but I'm sure you can find them in a local bookstore.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/103-8387627-4036625?v=glance&s=books

Most of he other things you have mentioned can be set using 'group policies' and there are several how tos around on the internet.

edit: oops slip of the toungue I meant AV server, showing my alliances !

Back