• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800pro or Se

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

Ok guys, is it worth it to just get a pro, or save some money and get a powercolor SE and softmod it? I can get a SE for like $150 and a Pro for like $200. Will a softmod make it just like a pro, and will it oc as well?

The Powercolors have about a 50% chance of softmodding w/ no artifacts and about a 25% chance of softmodding w/ slight artifacts. The other 25% will either have major artifacts or hardlock the system. If it does work then you'll almost always get NP speeds and you'll most likely get Pro speeds.

IMHO, if you have the money to get a Pro then you should definately get that instead of an SE. The Pro will most likely be a better overclocker because 256-bit SE's are NP's and Pro's that fail QA.

Thanks for the help. I used to have a Pro, but it just recently had a heart attack (have not found out why yet) and warrenty was over a week before it did (go figure). I was just seeing if I could save a few bucks, cause right now I am hurting for cash.

I'm very satisfied even with my se's that don't softmod. if you're hurting for cash, it might be worth it to pick up the sapphire one. 136. couldn't hit the high speeds, but it would play anything I threw at it, so long as you weren't running a 1600*1200.
however, with the chance of a softmod, you prolly end up with a card that's either slightly above or slightly below 9800 spec.
your call really.

id relly spend the extra 50 bucks and grab the pro. if it doesnt softmod, youll end up with a card performing on the same range as a 9600 pro. if youre satisfied with that, then u culd try the softmod.

Back