• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclock a 2.8C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nightkids

Recently I bought a P4C800 E-Deluxe, Corsair xms4000, Slk947u and a Mayla SL6WJ 2.8C for some overclocking.

I am very disappointed with the results:

250 (1.6v - 1.7v) Pc will not boot up
245 (1.6v - 1.7v) memtest and prime95 failed, thousands of errors in memtest

240 (1.6v - 1.675v) prime95 failed after 4 hours
235 (1.6v) prime95 stable for 8 hours

Ram 2.75v (manual set timming in BIOS to 3 4 4 8)
AGP 1.5v
PAT enable

Please can someone help me with this? I need some advice on overclocking this 2.8c, I am not expecting much, will be very happy if it can do 245 - 250, because I really wanted to make my money worth for the ram which meant to be running at least 245. Do you think is the problem with the Bios? Should I roll back to previous version, or is this damm cpu?

Welcome to the forums!

We've got an Intel section but this is your first post so I'll let you go. ;)

Keep in mind that the CPU is already beyond what Intel intended it to do--in other words, be content, it's hella-fast.

Things to know:

1) How's your cooling? I see you have a SLK-947, but how's your case airflow? Did you use Arctic Silver?
2) How's your PSU?
3) What are the temps looking like?

Once again, welcome to OCF.

Well i would suggest upping your Vdimm to its max...also check your PSU Rails with MBM5 to see how much your Underload is...remember not to run MBM5 while running another moniter program or else...you get my point:)

Sorry next time I will make sure I post to the right section.
according to asus probe, my temps never went past 45 full load, and around 36 idle, this is with 1.7vcore, if I drop down to 1.6vcore the temp will be 32idle and 41 full load, I use the smart fan2 at 8v by the way, so I guess the temps is ok. I use Arctic Silver 3 and the case airflow is ok too.

The PSU is an Antec true power 550w
The ram ratio is 1:1 with Corsair xms 4000 DDR500, I have tried drop down to 5:4 and it make no difference.

The max I can overclock for this 2.8c is 236x14 = 3.3 at 1.6vcore, prime stable for 12 hours.

I guess buying the best of everything doesn't do well somethings, maybe I got got a bum chip. :(

Captain Newbie said:
It's not bum if it runs at stock. That's what Intel intended it to do.

You need to know exactly what your temperatures are. Get Motherboard Monitor 5 (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/) and see how it does.

Nice rig by the way.

I downloaded MM5, and the temps are:

Cpu: 35 Idle Full load: 42 (prime95)
Sys: 29 Full load 32 (prime95)

So I guess the temps isn't that bad for air cooling.

Back