General GPU
Forum Jump

Chaintech must D I E!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 08:44 PM Thread Starter   #1
dippy_skoodlez

10 Year Badge

Chaintech must D I E!

My Ti4200 just **** on me. Stock heatsink and everything.

This is my 2nd Ti4200 from these morons. My first one overheated and eventually died from the lack of cooling. It was a samll black heatsink, and the fan got stuck a lot. died, I RMA'd it. Not even overclocked.

Got one back, Worked great. for a while. Memory wouldnt overclock, and the GPU ran hotter than my cpu. So much for overclocking. Just turned it on, artifacts on boot screen. Great. take it out, feel heatsink. hot as hell. ASIII and all.

F*** YOU CHAINTECH!

Dont EVER buy a chaintech videocard.

dippy_skoodlez is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-04, 08:51 PM   #2
Artyboy

About a year ago I went out and bought a Chaintech 5200 "ultra". I got it home and noticed that the picture quality was crap and it didn't bench any better than my geforce4 mx420 (pci ). I looked up the model number and found out that it was the stock 5200. Apparently Chaintech uses the same box for their 5200 and their 5200 ultra. The store was selling it as a 5200 Ultra. They didn't know any better. They probably bought them from Chaintech as a 5200 Ultra. After that little incident I don't even look at Chaintech products. I was about 100x more of a newbie than I am now and even I figured out what they were doing.
Artyboy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-04, 08:55 PM   #3
Gautam
Senior Benchmark Addict

10 Year Badge

I had the exact same probs with my AOpen Ti4200. I ended up epoxing an SK6+ to it, but it just seemed to stall its death, rather than prevent it. I think that this wasn't too uncommon an issue in the "lesser" brands with Ti4200's.

Old 04-14-04, 09:08 PM Thread Starter   #4
dippy_skoodlez

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by Gautam
I had the exact same probs with my AOpen Ti4200. I ended up epoxing an SK6+ to it, but it just seemed to stall its death, rather than prevent it. I think that this wasn't too uncommon an issue in the "lesser" brands with Ti4200's.

I took a thermometer to the heatsink, even when it had a 60mm fan attached to it, with a P4 willy heatsink, and it still registered past 130F! My thermometer stopped at that!

This card is past worthless. It benched 13k stock settings, but only once. never even got close after that.

The part that really ****es me off is that its my 2nd card from them with the same issue. This thing is gonna be either in the mail soon, or in a few trillion peices.,

dippy_skoodlez is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-04, 09:08 PM   #5
tekOC

MSI made the best TI4200 by far.... with the copper & plastic heatsink it had going on it was quite an overclocker.

I still think the MSI TI4200 is a great card, too bad its so damn old and no DX9

oh well
tekOC is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-04, 09:17 PM   #6
CrystalMethod
Senior Band Wagon Jumper

10 Year Badge

I really don't consider Aopen to be a "lesser' brand. While they don't produce the best performing cards out there, they're far from low end. My MX-400, and Ti-4600 are good examples. Rock solid cards, although their overclocking ability leaves a little to be desired. Like anyone else they have their hits and misses.

CrystalMethod is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-04, 09:20 PM   #7
SimGuy

I would consider the older Asus cards (Ti4600 & below) series middle-of-the-road in respect to cooling. They don't use reference coolers, but they also don't use anything incredibly large.

Overclock wise, my old Asus Ti4400 still runs this day artifact-free at 300/650 Ti4600 speeds on stock cooling, so that's saying a lot.

Can't wait to see their 6800U implementation...

//Edit: Chaintech must DIE.

SimGuy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-04, 10:18 PM   #8
Mr.Radar

Angry

You're not the only person who will forever hate any Chaintech product ever made. Their 7AJA2E motherboard had sooo many issues.. Though I suppose it wasn't all their fault, it was based on the KT133E (castrated KT133) chipset.
Mr.Radar is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-04, 08:15 AM   #9
Tycho

I bought a chaintech gefoce2 pro once from directron. When i got the box the packaging did have a "pro" sticker on it but the cards mem was running at 333mhz. the memory wont even run at 366 without artifacts. to this day i have not purchased another chaintech product, nor anything from directron. Maybe I should have bitched more to directron about the problem but I was in a tight spot and needed the vid card right then, as it was they did remove the "pro" description from their store so others didn't get taken.
Tycho is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-04, 06:35 PM   #10
Rastion Signe

This is going to sound dumb, but what are artifacts?
Rastion Signe is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-04, 06:43 PM   #11
Cowboy X

10 Year Badge

Artifacts are graphical glitches that tell you that your card or driver or both are running out of spec ( overclocked ) . Or it could be a driver issue with the given program or even a sign that the videocard is about to die on you .

1/Asus P6T SE,Core i7 920 ( H2O ),ATI Radeon 5870 ( H2O ),OCZ Reaper 6 GB,OCZ Z 1000W modular ps,Seagate 7200.8 250 x2,WD Caviar Black 1TB,Nec AD-7170A,LG GGC Asus USB3.0 and SATA 6g cardBlu-ray/HD DVD drive and burner,Modified Koolance Tower , Swiftech GTZ, Koolance chipset and memory blocks, Modified Maze4 GPU cooler,Vista Ultimate 64
2/Sony Vaio SR590,Core 2 Duo P7450, ATI 4570m, 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, Crucial M4
3/PS3 80 GB and 160 GB
Intermittent FOLDING: system 1, ATI 5870 and PS3 for Team 32
" Fear of GOD is the beginning of wisdom "
"The grass withereth, the flower fadeth, but the word of our GOD shall stand forever."

Fold for Team 32
Cowboy X is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-04, 07:10 PM   #12
24Gordon
Registered

I had a similar problem with a Gainward Ti 4200. With stock cooling it would freeze if I played a game for more than 20 minutes without my case open. Then after no more than 2 months of owning it, the fan broke on it.

I got a new Thermaltake copper heatsink w/ ramsinks and was hoping to overclock a little - hah! Even with the new heatsink it was running extremely hot, so no overclocking was possible.
24Gordon is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Video Cards > General GPU
General GPU