• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

multiple os's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dkitt10

ok basically I want two os's on my computer

win xp home and redhat 9

whichy program can I use that when I strat my computer it wil show I screen that I can pick the os I want to boot with

or how can I make my computer do that automatically??

thx

Yep, Lilo or Grub. They will find installs of other OSes and normall set it up for you.

If you install Windows after Linux, Windows will write over the bootloader, and you will have to reinstall it

grub > lilo

just add an entry for the "other" os in /boot/grub/grub.conf (chances are your distro will do this for you).

I've worked with both of them...they are not all THAT different. Grub IMO is easier to work with though because there are less things you have to worry about. If you do ever have to manually edit grub.conf, you don't have to run/execute the file when you're done where as you do with lilo. I am sure there are other reasons, but this is just the one that I have run into.

Back