• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ideas for making a temporary/removable thermal adhesive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jawadali

Hey guys, I was just wondering about making some home made thermal adhesive that is removable. This would primarliy be for RAMsinks, MOSFET heatsinks, and North and Southbridges. I'm thinking of getting a new northbrige heatsink.

I know that you can mix arctic silver/alumina adhesive with normal arctic silver/alumina/ceramique to make a temporary bond like this, but the cost would be like $12+.

I've also heard that you can just use thermal grease and then super glue the corners of their chips, but I'm not sure if it will come off without doing damage.

I was thinking of just mixing some ordinary super glue (like the type at the dollar store) with some cheap, silicone thermal grease (like the type that comes with thermalright heatsinks). If Arctic silver was used, I doubt it would make much of a performance difference on such a small area.

This would only cost $0-2, provided you already have some thermal grease.

Has anyone tired anything similar? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

I've been considering the super glue idea and I think that it would come off without doing anything, as long as it was several small drops and not one large super glue blob.
[edit] two or three small drops should be enough for anything as long as your not hanging a fan off of it.

I don't know if super glue is very good at conducting heat. Plus, I don't know if you are going to be able to mix the glue/thermal paste well enough. Just try the corners idea. Put it in two corners and see if it holds. It shouldn't be that hard to get off as long as you use VERY small drops.

Ok.

If I do do this, it looks like I will be using superglue in the corners.

However, If i try to make a mixed compound, I'll let eveyone know about the results.

I'm not even sure I'll need new cooling for my NB, but If I do, I'll give this a shot.

Maybe epoxy + thermal grease wil be better, but the ratio would be like 1:5 or more.

if it's just temporary (as in less than a few hours), 3M magic tape can hold on that sort of stuff (just use normal thermal grease for contact) pretty well, doesn't conduct... can block airflow though :p!

i used that for my SB HS for the longest time :D

By temporary, I meant removeable, like if you want to switch boards and transfer the heatsinks to your new board.

I'm not sure about the epoxy... seems like it would be risky and it's harder to get small amounts of it, while the glue comes in little squeeze tubes. If I was happy with that HS, then I'd probably use epoxy on it just so I could stick it on and forget about it.

I know what you mean, but I always like having the option for adjusting/replacing the cooling (for example, if you switch to water cooling, you'd get a northbridge block, so you could take off the heatsink).

Ok you guys have been talking about mixing epoxy and as5

I have some As3 and AS epoxy (looks just like AS3)

If I mix this what ratio should I use?

I am wanting to put my water block on my northbridge chipset.

1:1 ratio of the two is what I've seen so far, but I think that's with AS5... I'm not sure, but you might need to add a little more adhesive since AS3 isn't as thick. Check out what some of the other guys have to say before you take my word for it though, b/c they might know something I don't.
[edit] you could ask the guys over in the watercooling forum. I'm sure at least one of them has done something like this.

Back