• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my 9600-NP an XT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cakkie

I have a Connect3D Radeon 9600 non-pro.
Stock speeds are 324/203. With powerstrip I'm able to push this up to 432/233. Since the memory won't go over 233, I assume it might be locked (or the memory just can't go any further). I want to flash the bios of my card to a newer version, one which isn't locked.
To find out what bios I could use, I opened the advanced properties of my display adaptot, and found following information:

RADEON 9600 SERIES
ChipType: RADEON 9600 XT AGP (0x4152)
DacType: Internal DAC (400mhz)
Memory: 128MB
BIOS: BK-AMI VER008.011.001.001

As you can see, it says it has an XT chipset! Does this mean my card is actually and XT card, crippled with a locked BIOS, or is this just a glitch in Windows or the Detonator Drivers? (have latest version installed)

Also, what's the worst that could happen if I were to flash the card with an invalid BIOS? Would it render my card completely useless, of will I be able to flash it again (say booting with a PCI card)?

Tom

That's no glitch. The hardware returns an ID string when queried, so you obviously have an RV360 core in that card. To confirm it take a look at the core under the heatsink ;)

They are supposed to do 500MHz default, have you tried pushing it further? If it doesn't then it could be a purposefully undervolted core to reduce heat dissipation.

Your card is unlocked because you can change the clock frequencies. I wouldn't recommend flashing the BIOS because it isn't worth it tbh. It won't do anything worthwhile.

If I push it further than 433, I get artifacts and stuff.

As for an undervolted core, that would be likely, since the card is cooled passive, meaning that it can't run to warm (i'll check to see if I have a spare GPU fan).

How can I give the core more voltage? Is this somethign that can be done from Windows, or can I just raise the voltage of my AGP slot?

Nice!!!

Try upping the Core and the memory, but do it slowly. Dont up it to XT speeds right away, you might end up frying your card. Better yet, download Atitool to find your max overclock!!!

http://atitool.ocfaq.com/

Get that program from the site above!

Back