• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basics?? Cleaning up PCM goop on CPU....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joshiieeii

ok guys, Going to water cooling as soon as I get my KG7 raid board, but till then I was wondering how in the world a person can effectively and safely clean up that thermal tape (PCM) crap and not hurt the CPU any. Any advice would be very much appreciated. I have looked everywhere, but apparently this is a well know thing, not known to me... *shrugs* can't find it on any website.

Switch cleaner

I am still very new to this game, but i have used switch cleaner .It seems to work very well.

The arcticsilver website is where I always reference for cleaning any part of the chip, it's instructions are much better than I can give, but I'll give it a shot:
Some people have been able to use a pencil reacer on the ceramic, I prefer Dawn, but DO NOT Use regular detergent
Use acetone to get the "rough stuff" off the bridges, and dies, along with a lint-free cloth, I definately recommend using lint free, and you'll find out why if you don't. You can get'em at Radio shack, or a photography shop, hobby shop, etc...
They are used for cleaning high-quality camera lenses, or pricey glasses :)
When you are pleases with what you see, I always go back over it with a little alcohol (no not the drinking kind ;)) Isopropylol <sp>
The regualr stuff from the drug store.
Colin also had a great post about how to prep a chipped chip, if you need that one it shouldn't take to long to find, he posted it less than 24 hrs ago.

Hope this helps!!!

Oh yeah, try to keep from touching the die with your fingers during the last two cleaning portions. It has been stated that the oil, skin cells, etc, can cause a poor heat-transfer.

I've done this 30-35 times in the last couple of months, and had no problems :)

Back