• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you tell if your fan is sucking or blowing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timmay2k

Registered
I know you should have air coming in the front and out the back, but it's really hard to tell which way they are going. Any help would be great ! :) Thanks

Most fans that I have seen have directional arrows on one of the sides of the casing. These arrows show the direction of the blade spin and the direction of the airflow.

Or you could just put a peice of paper up to the fans and see if it gets sucked in or blown away....

they normaly have a arrow on the side of the fan showing you which direction .....try wetting youre finger and putting it close to the fan as well

EDIT Piped at the post :D

Smoke works very well to follow the direction of flow. Light a candle, wait until it's fully enflamed then extinguish it and quickly hold it in front of the fan and watch the flow. If you've got a window on the side of your case you can also see how the air acts once inside the case and see if there are any dead spots.

I have a couple of fans without the directional markers, so I generally use the paper method. I don't like the idea of smoke in my computer, but maybe that's just me :/

Another alternative is to get some dry ice and let the dry ice vapor flow thru your case. Watch the flow like the the smoke suggestion above. Be careful, though, not to let too much of the vapor go thru your computer or do it for very long because it is CO2 mixed with water vapor. The water vapor is what you can see.

eobard said:
Smoke works very well to follow the direction of flow. Light a candle, wait until it's fully enflamed then extinguish it and quickly hold it in front of the fan and watch the flow. If you've got a window on the side of your case you can also see how the air acts once inside the case and see if there are any dead spots.

This is what i did and it works very well. :thup:

FuzzyBallz said:
You're kidding right? Just hook up the fan and point the damn thing to your face, or hand if you have any. :rolleyes:

Be nice to the newbie you dont want to scare him off, lol.

lol, he was ripping on the guy who came up with the dry ice scheme. he's right too, just put your hand next to the fan, you'll feel it sucking or blowing.

squads said:
lol, he was ripping on the guy who came up with the dry ice scheme. he's right too, just put your hand next to the fan, you'll feel it sucking or blowing.

Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's a low cfm fan. The best way is probably the paper method. :)

Actually yea, my fans are low CFM and I cannot really tell just by hand..annoying :)

I have never seen a computer fan that doesnt blow air towards the stability bars on it.

I've had a situation where I set a fan to exhaust but the combination factors of fan placement within the case, fan airflow direction (in or out) and the space within the case caused air to be sucked in. The negative pressure was stronger than the force the fan could exert. So even though the fan was set to exhaust the opening was intake. Sometimes letting a little smoke float around to see the movement of the air is good.

whenever i'm not sure i just stop the fan, examine the fins, then see which way it spins when i power it back on... never thought checking w/ paper (that DOES sound easier)...

the only way smoke is going to be handier is if you're already smoking... something... :p

I always thought it blew the toward the side the sticker was on. Second to that I'd say the paper way would work the best.

Or you could just look at the blades and determine by the pitch which way it blows... no offense but this seems like way too of a common sense thing to even have to ask. Then again maybe I'm just a genius or something to have figured this stuff out on my own :rolleyes:

Mighty Joe

FAN1003.jpg

this was mentioned already, but ill clarify

you see how the fan has the 4 small bars holding the motor assembly in place? the fan will push air over those. meaning the airflow would be TOWARD the camera. hope this helps

Back