• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile 2500+ Hang issue Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fatboy

Registered
My setup:-

Mobile 2500+ : IQYHA 0352
NF7-S V2.0 Bios rev 23
360w Enlight PS
Thermalright 900a Heatsink + 80mm Smart Fan II
RAM: PC2100, 2x256MB + 1x512MB dual channel mode

Current Setting: 14x @ 172MHZ FSB = 2408MHZ at 1.725 volts
Temps: 44.5c under prime95 load

I ran for 24hours with Prime95 torture test with 14x @ 174MHZ at 1.75 volts for 24 hours. Also 18x @ 133MHZ at 1.70 volts. Things were 100% stable. Memtest86 also overnight to verify that the memory is stable at this higher FSB (needed 2.9v)

Have gamed, used the system for the last week with no stability issues. One exception is that a couple of times during cold boot, I heard one beep of the bell which then stopped - system booted ok, but the modem would not work until a warm reboot. A little odd.......

The problem I have now is a complete HANG situation when I use CCE Basic to encode some home video. The screen is completely frozen and mouse will not move....... exactly the same behaviour when I overclocked my old Celeron 300MHZ too much - it would just lock up occasionally.

This HANG has happened twice and occurs within 30 minutes of encoding. Both with the 174MHZ setting and the 172MHZ setting. I've had prime95 stable for 20 hours at 2500MHZ @ 132FSB only to fail after 21 hours!

It took days of Prime95 testing to determine the best setting. Now that I have this problem, I'd like to know whether I should focus on FSB, voltage, memory etc to get this stable? Last resort is to try a lower clock speed......... the mobile chip appears promising and I'm not sure what is holding me back......

CCE is clearly CPU intensive, but so is Prime95 which is stable. Perhaps CCE should be added to the overclock stability checklist!

Any tips on what to try next?

You passed all the stability tests... are you sure this is not some specific software/operating system problem.

BTW, you're running 100% insync, right? (No matter how many people post they can do more, it is still a fact that vast majority of average PC2100s cannot do more than low 150s FSB.)

Last edited:
I've haven't seen any other stability issues with the O/S. Not to say that something may be mixed up - I did install the latest MS patches before this happened (but I hadn't tried CCE before this either). Perhaps I should try another Prime95 run to be sure........

I'm running the memory at 6/6 insync. Two of the memory modules actually had PC2700 dimms in them - sort of a free upgrade. The third module had exactly the same chips as one of the PC2700. The 2x256 are the same brand/chips and the 512MB is a Kingston.

I'm still suspicious about the memory........ but usually a total hang is the CPU.

Actually, your question is good about software problem. I'll run at stock 1800MHZ tonight and see if the encoding works without a hang. At least I can lay this question to rest. Better not to make assumptions that this isn't the problem!

Back