• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dodgy Corsair and BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mercuryscythe

Registered
When I built my PC 2 months and turned it on, dead, Fans were spinning but the screen was blank. After some poking about i remembered that the Corsair 3700 RAM I bought could only run at CAS3, no matter how much voltage you put in it. And because it wasn't standard memory (like 3200 or 2700) the motherboard couldn't set the timings by default. So i had to set them, But a couldn't because i couldn't boot or even get to POST. So what i did was to get the 3200 from my P4 System and put it in, Set the timings, turn it off then put in the Corsair 3700 and hooray. It worked.

The problem is when i have to reset the CMOS i have to rip the RAM out the other PC and do what i did above. And lately the BIOS has been corrupting its self (I think the battery is dyeing) and i have to take the computers apart.

Is there any way to set the timings without using another stick? Is there away to get into the BIOS settings without running the BIOS if you know what i mean?

Thanks in advance.

System specs.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Gigabite K8VNXP
512MB Corsair 466MHz 3700
Asus 9600XT
Thermaltake Venus 12
Thermaltake Butterfly 480W
40GB Maxtor Fireball3

Yes, I have the 4th revision. The newest is Revision 5 - But that doesnt work for some reason. I am awating a reply from gigabyte on that.

hmmm seeing prices are so high on ram now. why don't you sell the ram. Wait till prices go down and buy a stick that will work for ya and have some change left over.

Or replace that battery, you could try the battery from you other system first and see if it fixes it.

Or maybe swap your ram to your other system forever?

sorry I can't think of anything else maybe someone else will know another solution.

Its a good suggestion but the 3700 RAM is the same price it was 2 months ago. The system workes as i am writing this on it. I just wanted to know i there was a way to set the timmings without running the bios. I tryed the "holding <Insert>" method and it didnt seem to work. Thanks anyway Banshee350.

PS. I powerd down and left it for a couple of hours and the battery seems to be fine.

Back